Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
The front headrests are prevented from removal by a self taping screw located in the seat back rest where the headrest slides in the seat, you will have to remove the back rest cover to gain access to the screw.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well you live and learn!! I've had 3 900s and 4 9000s all with these headrests and I've never figured out how to get them off.
When I got my current '96 CSE the headrests were all the way down and must have been there since new because they were stuck. After a few good hard tugs I got them up but the detent on the driver's one doesn't work too well and the headrest rather annoyingly gradually slips down. Maybe I'll be inspired to have a look at it now that I know how to get it apart.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
My (ex '94 and current '98) have a leaver behind the rear head rests, which must be pushed down to release the units (necessary on the CSE if the back seats are dropped down). The fronts have a metal clip tucked down into the slot on the top of the seat, which has a metal tag each side. Normally squeezing the tag in (kills your fingers - use pliers each side but don't slip!) releases the head rest for removal.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ummm..
On my '94 the metal clip in question came off easily, simply by squeezing in the tangs. I have since tried releasing the same clip on my current '98, and haven't succeeded. Does this mean that there is a metal screw (per AYM's comment) or other additional retainer which prevents the metal clip from being removed I wonder?

As an aside, I have wanted to adjust the clip setting in question, (if possible) in order to raise the headrest up a little on maximum reach. Being 6' 3" the standard Saab set up is too LOW, which is not very good for such a safe, and big, car!

Does anyone else have experienc of the offending metal clip?
AYM, is this what the screw locates into?

·
Registered
188 Posts
PAUL D
the metal clip you refer to holds the headrest in place at the various hights, it will not release the headrest from the seat,
the screw I refer to is in the seat back and locates into the centre of the headrest it allows the headrest to move up and down but not out, the only way is to remove the backrest cover and remove the screw,

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Thanks AYM.
I guess that my '94 had a broken headrest fixture which was replaced with the metal clip retainer without the backrest screw. Hence it was unusually easy to remove.

I shall now seek to unscrew the inscrutable!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.