Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to replace head gasket on 1987 9000 turbo,but dealer says I need engine S/N
to get proper gasket kit. Problem is that tag
is missing. Any way of telling which gasket
to order? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Hi Rainer

Long shot, can dealer not tell from VIN number what engine was originally fitted? Of course, this is no good if the vehicle doesn't have the original engine.

/john

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Dont understand why he need Engine Number.

Only 2.0l engine fitted in 1987, gasket number was 7585045 but now 9169079 is the one that is listed (these are Saab part numbers). In fact 9169079 is listed for both the B202 and B234 engine - not surprising as the 2.3 is just a stretched 2.0 not a bored one.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The 2.3 lump is most definately not a 'stretched' 2.0, but a completely new, all SAAB engine. The 2.0 was a development of a Triumph engine block (unless you know better) in a way like the Sierra Cosworth engine was developed from the Pinto block of the Cortina's.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I disagree. The 2.3 is a "stretched" 2.0 with the addition of balance shafts and the oilways re-routed. The B204 engine is the same as the 2.3 but with the same stroke as the B202.
I think that the 2.3 is just a further development of 2.0 the same as the H series was a development of the B series which was developed from the original 1709/1850cc Triumph engine .

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Derek,
Further to your reply, I found the following in the November '89 edition of Performance Car, written by Jack Daniels.
" Given total freedom of choice in the design of a new engine, Saab have decided to stay with four cylinders. Make no mistake, though: the new Saab 2.3-litre engine is no adaptation of the existing, tough and long lived 2-litre. It is a brand new engine and it started from a clean sheet of paper around 1984."

Now I am the first to disbelieve the printed word per-se, but other sources also have led me to believe the above to be true. Even the oil filter is on the opposite side of the block to the 2.0.
Any further comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
SAABSCENE, Autumn 1989, Vol XII No.3

After five years of intensive research Saab has unveiled a new "high-tech" 2.3 litre engine. ... The engine which features a totally new cast iron block is "square" with a cylinder bore and stroke of 90mm and a swept volume of 2290cc.

HTH
/john

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.