Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My '89 9K has started using up water from the radiator reservoir. My mate says thats its probably the head gasket on its way out; deduced from the fact that you can smell petrol vapour if you put your nose to the reservoir.
Is he correct & how much would replacing the gasket cost??
Cheers

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
You need to check for water in oil and visa versa and possibly a compression test but this would necessarily prove if oil/waterway cross leaking.
Head gasket done by Saab main dealer is about £500 - independent would probably be cheaper than this - most difficult part is probably the timing chains/cam.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by DaveS:
[qb] QUOTE
Head gasket done by Saab main dealer is about £500  [/b]
of which, £25 is for the head gasket itself....... [/qb][/b][/quote]...but it is a labour intensive job and that's what makes up most of the bill. The part may be £25 but they can't spend all that time replacing it and not charge you anything for it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sorry, Mark E, you beat me to it -that was a reply to /john!

Acutally a full head gasket kit will set you back around £75...  [/b]
Quite right, I stand corrected! £25 was just the head gasket.

Whilst I'm on, how often would you reuse the Saab cylinder head bolts? I've seen differing views on this, just wondered what people here think?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I think I paid about £67 for a kit 2-3 months ago but didn't use the valve stem seams in the end (too much work to change and old were not leaking).

Reused the head bolts (was 1st head off incident). I've never yet bought new bolts and never had any problems.

Search back and you should find some piccies (probably in the C900 section) infact, probably here.. 16v head G job also check here for a 8v Job

Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts