Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, the cylinder head is off

chain, cams, sprockets all in excelent nick for 86,000 miles, gasket was starting to show signs of wear so I am glad i decided to change it.

Some questions I need answerd
1. what do you clean the piston and valve faces with ?

2. what do you use to scrape off bits of the old gasket ?

3. the 2 locating dowels how do you remove or do you just leave 1 in each mating face (i.e. 1 in the block and the other in the cyl head ?

4. inlet and exhaust gaskets, do you use paste and if so which ?

5. going to change oil also to fully syn, would you do this after re-building and running engine or before ?

6. would anyone recommend doing anything else ?

TIA Haggag01

·
Registered
115 Posts
I left the piston crowns as they were. I used a plastic scraper to remove pieces of old gasket. I used plenty of brake cleaner/carb cleaner on the head. I put the new inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets back on without the need to use any paste. I used JB WELD to fill in some light pitting on the head. I cleaned out the holes in the block for the cylinder head bolts using cotton buds...if you don't you could generate hydraulic action when tightening the bolts and thus crack the head
I left the dowel guides in place. In respect of the oil it is recommended that you change the oil after say 500 miles to ensure you get rid of any remaining gunk so if your oil has NOT been contaminated already I would run as is when reassembled then change to the good stuff after 500 miles but that's up to you though. H.T.H

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
2. what do you use to scrape off bits of the old gasket ?[/b]
a scraper ...no really
the one halfords sell is pretty good and a sound investment
it is has just the right profile for all your scrapeing needs as well as carbon off the valves
and off the piston tops ....carefull!!
it won't dig in if you are carefull..
good luck...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all help, going to clean both mating surfaces, and remove exhaust manifold , fit new studs and that will do me for today, going to give myself a couple of hours each night and then finish off next weekend.

Keep you posted Haggag01

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello all, got exhaust manifold off with only 1 broken stud, screw extractors did not do the job, but managed to create a slot and got out with screwdriver

Have cleaned up all mating surfaces, ended up using a "stanley" blade, nice job.

Saab bits comming tomorrow so hope to get head back on .

2 questions: 1. rocker cover rubber seals, mine has the half moons connected do I still need to apply sealant ?

2.new cylinder bolts have washer attatched, but they are the same length as old from tip of bolt to base of washer, is this okay to use ?

TIA Haggag01

·
Registered
115 Posts
I didn't apply any sealant when putting in the new rocker cover gasket. I re-used the old head bolts after carefully checking that they all looked ok, same length etc. and thoroughly cleaning them. I understand that the originals can take 3 retorqings before needing replacement and that they are better quality than the new ones. Your new ones will be ok with the washer.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ColinD,

thanks for the reply, will use new head bolts seen as I have bought them, also my rocker cover had a blue tick on it before dismantling, according to saab a blue tick denotes that the bolts have been re-torqued.

Will give sealant a miss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.