Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recedntly bought a 96 aero. Fantastic car, immaculate...then the head gasket went. Put new gasket on, and now car initially fires, but immediately stops. It has to be left 10 mins before it will fire again. Engine turns perfectly on starter whenever Ive tried it.This is whatr has been done.

New head gasket
Head cleaned, new valve stem seals, valves cleaned.
new water pump
new jt downpipe
atmospheric dump valve
new drivebelt tensioner
new thermostat

The plugs are wet and a little oily after trying to start. downpipe is on, and 2 of the 3 bolts tightened (waiting for a c shaped spanner to tighten 3rd).

Suggestions anybody?
Thansk as always!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill. What a stupid question. Do you think im an idiot..............
Oh dear.....im an idiot!!!!!
I practically ran out to car, locked then unlocked....and it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thank you!!!
I have spent a full day looking at it! Worrying at it! Now properly attach downpipe then....

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Paul, in your position I think my glee would just about overtake my embarrassment. We've all been there, one way or another. For me it was the first time I stopped the car and got out to deliver something through a friend's letterbox on the way home from picking up my "new" Aero.

And a couple of his neighbours had just asked for a ride...

Glad it was nothing more serious!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
It's because we always imagine the worst!
Remember braking down on arrival at a friends near Bristol airport one v-hot summer day some yrs ago. Quickly checked engine and saw wiff of smoke off dead DI (and burnt smell) - got wife to order new unit to friends address, arrived back from 2 day business trip abroad, installed new DI pack, turned on engine, and still not starting!
Wrong diagnosis and now marooned??

Then I remembered I hadn't connected the wiring loom!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.