Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Well the job has started, head gasket that is but

1. haynes manual not bad but it misses out a lot, moving alternator for e.g.

2. coolant drained from rad but they mention 2 plugs in the block, where exactly in the [email protected] are they ? and do I need to worry about them.

Tommorow it is drain oil, disconnect inlet manifold and then turbo to exhaust, hope by end of play tomorrow to have head off.

Intercooler: Met ylee today who kindly sold me an i/c at a good price
. Got to see stage 6 also, ho,ho !!
turbo air inlet pipe is something else, you'll need an artillery barrel cleaner if it ever needs some spring cleaning.

The noise from the car is amazing !! not sure what it sounds like from inside but watching it leave the junction it made a TVR sound like a nissan micra !!

However whilst I have the car in bits, it would be easier to get the i/c mounted, I am especially looking for the rubber plugs for the bottom feet and also looking from the front the left hand side bracket, if anyone is willing to give me info as to where I can obtain them PM me please. This would at least allow me to mount it and then I can worry about piping at a later date !!

All help welcome Haggag01

Lastly a thanks to ylee as it is nice to put a face to a name and also see a great car.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
no problem....
made some space in my garage

The noise from the car is amazing !! not sure what it sounds like from inside but watching it leave the junction it made a TVR sound like a nissan micra !!  [/b]
emmm ..belive it or not its quite quiet inside
until it gets above the magic 3000 rpm and you can hear it a little bit inside

got me worried I might not meet the noise requirements at he track day...
wwhere's me dB meter ....

Btw if you colleaugues make you an inlet pipe in stainless..I can think of a few people that would be queueing up for it !!...
me included

good luck and nice to meet you !!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Here is the front coolant drain plug, near the gearbox end of the engine. 19mm socket required, if I remember correctly:

From what I remember, the rear plug is opposite this on the rear of the engine. I wouldn't worry too much if you've opened the radiator drain plug or undone the bottom hose from the water pump, as this should have drained most of the coolant from the head.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ylee, do you mean the pipe from turbo to intercooler or from air filter to turbo ??

Also TDC on the crankshaft pulley the bloc has an arrow and the pulley has a tapered bit of metal on the inside with a small hole, should this hole line up with the arrow ?

Thanks Haggag01

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
its the pipe fron the i/c to the inlet manifold..
abbott charge about £300 for theirs ..
a bit of 3 " stainless a coupla bends a coupla holes (for the air sensor and the dump valve ..would probably need a t welding in...)

one hours work coupla quid for materials and £100 in your back pocket ....

and another 30 hp for me

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am on nightshift tonight and will speak to the lads, as the car is in bits will take out pipe measure up and get the lads to have a look at it s/steel straights and bends easy all our spirit pipework is 3", would you still have to fit rubbber/silicone pipe at either end to allow for movement ?

Keep you posted Haggag01

Intercooler not in yet no scrappies around here with bits, so will try Neo Bros for bottom bracket and rubber plugs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
  Intercooler not in yet no scrappies around here with bits, so will try Neo Bros for bottom bracket and rubber plugs.  [/b]
There are a couple of 9ks in a yard in Kirkcaldy one is a turbo still had intercooler in it last time I was there I can give you directions if you want .

Cheers C

--------------------------------------------------

I'm not a complete idiot some parts are still missing

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Yes Randolph industrial estate, RAS Randolph Auto Salvage, they have two yards, one on either side of the road. The main one with the sign up is the one to head for. Go in the main gate, office on the left,go straight ahead past the brick building on the right, turn right behind that and there is a further row of cars there, about 4 cars down underneath another car. The windscreen is smashed but you can get the bonnet up and access to the rad etc...

HTH

Am i allowed to put directions up on the board ??

I would also like to add I am in no way connected to RAS, I only live in Kirkcaldy.

Regards C

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.