Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bu66er - just looked under the bonnet and found a drip of oil from front of the block.

Head gasket was replaced a couple of thousand miles ago under warranty. Before I fitted the Stage 1

Do they need to be re-Torqued? If so how many miles after fitment?

Any one experienced block problems, cracked or porous heads etc.?

I am wondering if I can get away with a re-torque -skimming could lead to probems with the compression ratio?

Any way - just what I need after forking out on a new DI Cassette.

Still glad I did the upgrade though - it rocks

Cheers

Alyn

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I would think that it couldn't hurt to try the retorque. If the work was done under warranty, they should be happy to go in and accomplish it. Also, retorqueing shouldn't take very long since they would not be taking the head back off.

Eric Burr

·
Registered
403 Posts
AFAIK all Saab head bolts are of the stretch variety - i.e. should not be re-torqued.

On the 9000 (I assume that’s what your talking about) there is a seal on the rhs front of the head where the hal distributor would go if it’s not DI, this does leak a bit of oil on occasions.

You wont lose oil thru the head gasket(if you were you would have a very serious problem !) but could be an incorrectly installed rocker cover gasket.

I would clean it up and have a look at exactly where it's coming from, but I certainly wouldn't be thinking of touching the head at this stage IMHO.

Damo

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Sorry to hear that . I totally agree with Damo's comments on this. IIRC Alyn, Wheelton did your headgasket. They're pretty reliable (as in I've heard lots of good things about them and I know personally as did mine on the 900).

I'd suggest you give them a call and see what they say. It can't be more than 2 or 3 months since it was done and I'm sure their work will have a warranty.

SteveN

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have to agree with damo
All of my 9000's leaked a smidgin of oil where the dizzy should go but even after 160k + never amounted to anything..
I would keep an eye on it but imho there is nothing to worry about

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hallam & Sutherns (Swadlincote) looked at the car this morning. - they checked the torque and tightened up one or two other bits and pieces. The car is booked in for a service in a fortnight's time - if it's still leaking they will change the studs.

Alyn

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'd check though, whether your car has the old all-rubber blanking plug for the hole where the distributor would go. Nowadays, it's a solid metal item with an O-ring. According to Glenn of Trent Saab the leaks stopped when the later blanking plug was introduced.

The parts numbers for the later plug are:
9131004 Distributor blanking plug (£7.36 ex VAT)
9176470 Distributor O-ring 16 valve (£0.82 ex VAT)

Prices quoted are of Trent Saab.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Eric

I'll take a look in daylight and see if there is a rubber bung or a metal blanking plate - if I can remember where the dizzy was mounted
- I guess my Haynes manual should show the general area.

Cheers

Alyn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts