Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
No, the amount of time taken to register that the hazard lights are flashing because you're having to brake very hard would be far greater than the time required to actually do anything useful.

More useful would be a conversion of the high level brake light from incandescent bulbs to LED's which have a much faster operating time.

Seriously, if I'm that close behind someone, I'd have needed to brake far sooner than noticing "Oh, hazard lights on as well as brake lights - how cool!" by this time, i'd be firmly planted in his boot.

I'd just rather hang back thanks

David.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sightly off topic, but if I am at the back of a queue on a motorway, I put my Hazard Lights and Rear Fog lights on (as well as brake lights, of course) so that fast moving traffic behind can see there's a problem ahead. Don't know why this isn't written into the Highway Code.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Highway code says:

"Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic [...] You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights whilst driving unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed."

"You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users."

So Zaphod, it condones your use of hazard lights, but prohibits your use of foglights.

It probably would rule out the original poster's suggested mod but then again, he is not in the UK.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
It also fails to mention that they're ok to use when indicating that you're being towed or when parking on double yellow lines!

Fog lights? Oh you mean the "it's raining lights" at the back?

Sorry, lil' sarcasm from me there

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
A magistrate friend says that they consider increasing the fine for people who use hazard flashers when parked on a doble yellow line because the person who turned them on knows he's causing an obstruction. Otherwise there would be no need to use them.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by 9000CSE:
[qb]I remember reading in Classic and Sportscar about
a car whose brakelights increased in intensity the harder the brake pedal was pressed. [/qb][/b]
Not sure if it's the same car, but a recent concept car from Jaguar had this feature.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.