Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My first time of posting..

Have owned my Saab 1989 T16S 2 door saloon for 5 years. Car currently has the following mods.

Abbott Racing :-

Gas Flowed Cylinder Head + Matched and Blended Ports, Larger Inlet Valves (2.3L), Charge Cooler, Complete Stainless Steel Exhaust,

3 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator, and three way bleed valve.

Red box APC

K&N Replacement Air Filter Element.

17” team dynamics wheels

car is de-badged.

I would like to upgrade the following, would value you your opinions.

AIR INTAKE , speedparts/KN57i or has anyone tried fitting a Viper Style intake, Cold air feed, Intake pipe from behind the bumper or by the oil cooler.

QUICK SHIFT, anyone know of one?

FAST ROAD CAMS is there such things?

LOWER & STIFFER SUSPENSION Would like Ebachs and Koni Adjustables. Good? Where from?

FRONT STRUT BRACE There must be one to fit?

IGNITION LEADS / COIL / PLUGS Anyone found an upgrade worth the cash?

Re-circ Dump Vavle Much improvement? Which one? Where?

APC upgrade Better than red box? Which is Best, Abbott, Maptun, Speedparts.. other?

Lighten/aluminium fly wheel Thoughts and possible places of purchase?

Brake upgrade, disks, pads, hoses have thought about goodridge SS hoses, mintex pads and grey iron disks. Any Suggestions?

Im hoping that you will have lots of opinions on this and that some of them will AGREE with each other.

Cheers Simon

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I'm no expert, though have had the fortune to acquire Tandino's 900 T16s.

I don't believe you can fit a strut brace to a 900. Others - feel free to disagree!

Not sure if fast road cams are a good idea, but my car has a 2.3 head, with matching cams, which I believe is an accepted upgrade.

I have Tarox disks and Mintex pads with braded hoses which seem to do a pretty good job.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Strut brace - no, as a c900 does not have any struts to brace...
I'll be getting a custom rear brace between the shock mounting points in the boot area, though. It will be removable too for when you need the entire load capacity. Will posts pics after Beek Auto Racing have gotten to it.
There are cam upgrades available from Crower (regrinds-were problematic on my car, but went well on others), Cat Cams, Swedish Dynamics and Sweedspeed Racing. You won't get the full benefit of either without reprogramming the fuel EPROM for a higher rev limit (as well as matching the fuel delivery to the new chacteristics).
As for ignition wires - OE (Bougicord) or Magnecor best, all other 'upgrades' reek of snake oil IMO. The weak link in the c900's engine controls is ignition timing management - several ways to go about this. In ascending order of elaboration, you can use an adjustable vacuum advance/boost retard capsule (Group 9 Performance AID or a custom modified one from Brad at KC Saab in the USA), an MSD BTM which allows you to 'map' the ignition timing to a certain extent whilst still using the stock distributor ignition, or the retrofit of a DI system (controller out of one of the earliest DI-equipped 9000's of '88) of which the EPROM can be reprogrammed.

Eibach does not make springs for the c900 (anymore) - Trent Saab or Abbott have proprietary ones that offer a very good performance. Koni is the accepted standard for performance c900 shocks. They're the regular 'red' series, but give excellent results nonetheless.

The obvious brake upgrade for '88-on c900s consists of callipers, discs and pads from a 9000 which pretty much bolt on (only modifications are larger cutouts in the backplates and the fabrication of L-shaped brackets to retain the short peices of hard brake line that need to be transferred from the 900 callipers.

I use Brembo grey iron discs and Ferodo DS3000 pads to good effect. For a 'daily' car the latter might be a step too far for most: normally the DS2500 compound is the most aggressive people will go for on the road.

The 3000's work better from cold than the old set up when fully warmed up, though...

Goodridge braided brake lines: very good. Go for them at your next brakefluid change (and if you don't know when the fluid has been changed last, do it now).

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
There is a quickshift mechanism available from Jörgen Eriksson (E.T.T. - Eriksson Transmission Teknik, no web page) in Sweden, a d*mn near replica from Saab Savior in the US as well as several cast-offs using stock parts that mostly get advertised in the parts classifieds of Saabnet.com et al.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jez and Eric,

Thank you both very much for your comments.

It was past my bedroom when i wrote the list of things i was after some point on.

Think it would have been better to have post one at time and worked through them that way... I might still do that..

With regards to the struct brace, what i should have said was .... is there a rear strut brace and has any one ever braced the front and if so was there any improvement?

The quickshift.. has anyone tried the one eric mentions?

I think i'll start with the hoses for the brakes, and the koni shocks and "some" springs.

Still wondering what can be done to improve the breathing side of things? Cold air feed would be nice.

I come back to the other things in smaller doses.

Just got a litle carried away.... anymore posting that long i'll get carted away by the men in white coats... lol

If you fit 9000 calipers, do you need to get 9000 grey iron disks or 900?

And where is best to get disc and pads?

I know.... i need spoon feeding.. use to have time and patients to source and choose myself, but running owe businesses now and not much free time.

Cheers Simon

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I wouldn't bother if I already had a chargecooler in there. As long as you don't exceed 1.2 bar boost (that is - tune for flow rather than making up for deficiencies in this area with gobs of boost; as there's a gasflowed big-valve head on the car already it's fair to say it's been taken some way into that direction already) the Abbott CC system should be fine, and going to a 9000 IC instead would be a serious retrograde step (for starters, it flows 81 cfm instead of the 140 cfm of the Abbott/Pace unit, and the long, contorted piping to allow installation of the IC won't help the transitory behaviour of the system either...).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts