Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried repositioning the air filter for the 9000 ?

I am currently running the JR induction kit with JR filter....

It got me thing when looking at jap cars recently, that have the sports air filter right in the engine bay.

Is it possible to remove the standard air intake trunking and position a sports filter closer to the turbo ?

This would I assume mean losing the recirc dump valve for a atmospheric dumpvalve

I know that it would mean the car would be drawing in warmer air, my response to this, why do so many jap cars have it this way though ? lack of space ?

Just a thought

Andy

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Getting cold air instead of warm must far exceed the friction of an extra 2 feet of pipe.
My MR2 used to pull air from vents down in front of the rear wheels. The K&N upgrade put a free flow filter in place but it sat inside the hottest engine bay on the planet...never did buy one.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I know that it would mean the car would be drawing in warmer air, my response to this, why do so many jap cars have it this way though ? lack of space ?[/b]
yes......

Saabs have designed in a nice cold air feed positioning the airfilter in the wing and allowing sufficient air to it even up to and exceeding 400 hp
putting it where you suggest would only mean less hp....

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by saab90002.3t:
[qb]It got me thing when looking at jap cars recently, that have the sports air filter right in the engine bay.[/qb][/b]
Are these high-performance Japanese cars? If so, do they suck air from inside the engine bay or is there a pipe running to the outside (like the 9-3, I think)?

Like the others, I can't see any advantage if there's the space to suck in cold air.

·
Registered
103 Posts
They put a cone filter near the hottest area possible then add loads of tubing from the front of the car to try compensate for the mass heat, then they don't realise this piping only works on the move (as forced induction as such). So when you've been sat at the lights waiting for a couple of mins the heat is built up so high you say byebye cos they've lost all the cold air to the engine while yours is free to breath ahhh SAAB

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The Jap cars do this because they're more concerned with flow than temp. The intercooler will cool the air down before it enters the engine. I've seen some dyno tests on such a setup. It usually works out to no change at all. Turbo works a little harder to get the air in because it't hotter and less dense, but it works less hard becuse there's less piping.

Generally it doesn't benefit or hurt power. My air element is exposed to engine heat, no effect on power. Just a really nice sound.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyway, despite contradictory advice etc....

I decided to try it out for myself.......

Here are the results of a mornings work, new dump valve (atmospheric, Matt, Maptun stage3 proud owner of my old abbott/forge recirc item, thanks for the spin in the car last night too!)

The standard induction tubing hooked up to a mesh filter, since the pics were taken I have run an additional cold air pipe from under the front bumber up to the base of the filter.

I havent noticed any drop off at all in torque (not that my car was lacking in that department anyway)

I have left the JR induction pipe and filter in place in the front wing, at the southern rolling road day I shall try both and see if there is a difference

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by saab90002.3t:
[qb]... Matt, Maptun stage3 proud owner of my old abbott/forge recirc item, thanks for the spin in the car last night too!)

[/qb][/b]
Now fitted, and very nice it looks too, thanks
Looking forward to a spin in yours sometime.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Having done this before with the open filter kit from SPG9, I can say that in hot weather, performance definitely suffers with this type of setup. In cold weather it is ok, but my stock airbox performed much better once ambient temperatures started to climb.

The kits with a barrier to keep out the hot under hood air seem to work a bit better. I improved on my BSR Optiflow by using foam pipe insulation and RTV silicone sealant to make it so it has a nice seal from the rest of the engine compartment. This seems to work much better than the open cone filter by itself. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of it somewhere.

The best benefit of these is the sound, if that kind of thing is for you. I love it.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I've just fitted the Speedparts induction kit to my 9000. Although it comes with an extension tube designed to put the filter in the wheelarch, I wasn't happy about the fact that on hot days there is a great gap around the tube in the aperture that use to house the airbox, meaning that hot engine bay air will be drawn in. So, I made a blanking plate out of the top of a large plastic tub, and fed it through that, thus sealing the intake from engine bay air.

It's a fair bit more noisy than my last set up of an ITG foam filter and modified airbox- you can very definitely hear the compressor wheel of the turbo, especially around 2500-3500 even inside the car.

Anyway, the car is away at the mo getting it's clutch flywheel re-surfaced but when it gets back I shall make a proper drawing of the blanking plate required, which will ensure the bets of both worlds

Meanwhile, my C900 T16s has an open air filter under the hood- and I want to get rid of it as it really does suffer in the hot weather.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have one of these as well...
maybe mine is a little larger than yours (oooerrr) but it just about fills the hole the airbox vacated..so I would not think it would draw much in
also there is a gap at the end of the radiator/condenser /ic stack which allows cooling air into that side of the engine bay
is your modification putting a barrier there ?

interested to see !!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]also there is a gap at the end of the radiator/condenser /ic stack which allows cooling air into that side of the engine bay
is your modification putting a barrier there ?
[/qb][/b]
No, it's simply closing the gap into the wheelarch- I will post some pics when I get it back.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Thanks for the offer, Andy- was that a proprietory one? If so it might be worth adding to the kit.

Anyway, I had to go up to the garage this eve to look at the clutch damage (see separate post ) and was able to take these pics. Bear in ind they were taken from inside the wheelarch witht the gearbox removed!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
err ....
mine is a lot bigger...there is very little space round it ...I will take some pictures at the weekend and because of this the cone filter effectively blocks it off..the little that gets by is insignificant imo

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
yes, ylee, I've seen yours, remember?

BTW I reckon your stock post intercooler pipe must now represent a significant flow loss- it's surface area must be less than a quarter of the intake pipe!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
oh yes ...I forgot
BTW I reckon your stock post intercooler pipe must now represent a significant flow loss- it's surface area must be less than a quarter of the intake pipe!  [/b]
oh yes...

but I am working on a full flow replacement..
should help the spool up somewhat
will reveal more when I can

1 - 18 of 18 Posts