Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes

I've recently had Konis and Sachs/Boge lowered springs fitted to my '96 CDE.

The ride is much firmer now as highlighted at slow speeds over Berkshire's terrible road surfaces. However, what's lost there is more than compensated for by the road holding it now has. It corners as if it's on rails and never seems to feel as if it's about to let go.

Just last night we were exiting the M4 at J10 and taking the bend that joins on to the M329 at warp factor 1.1 It scared the daylights out of my other half and resulted in an argument because she didn't expect me to be barrelling round there at that speed. I must say, the sideways inertia now is really something to be experienced.

The car sits lower now but not too much thankfully as I would have had a ground clearance problem getting on to my drive if it were.

I'm going to take some pics today since the weather has picked up. I'll post them later.

Ash

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have koni yellows with Aero springs on the back of my Aero (still have std aero setup on the front). Hard for me to say the real difference as one of the old rear dampers had failed - but roadholding was massively improved with the new shocks. Ride was terrible at first (1.5 turn setting) and it has taken the shocks 10k miles to bed in - so its now firm but supple.
There is still a bit of body movement but cornering is great (I think the harder rear setup gives a more oversteer tenmdancy - turnin is vastly improved) and I actually think my rear springs have sagged a bit as its seems to sit lower at the back (before and after the konis were fitted) so I'm going to go for proper lowered springs and fit the konis at the front. Currently stuck as to what brand of springs to fit.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm running Bilstein Sport dampers (front V36 4034, rear B36 1785) with standard Aero springs and all seems well. They've tightened up the handling nicely without too much harshness during the 9,000 miles or so since fitting.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Aeroboy:
[qb]I'm running Bilstein Sport dampers (front V36 4034, rear B36 1785) with standard Aero springs and all seems well.[/qb][/b]
Aeroboy, Where did you get them?? One of the usual or some other place. Careful what you reply, the name of the shop maybe on this sites subversive list and you'll get a ticking off!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]Ride was terrible at first (1.5 turn setting) and it has taken the shocks 10k miles to bed in - so its now firm but supple.[/qb][/b]
Faero - how come they were set to 1.5 turns, is this how they came preloaded or did you adjust them up??

Aeroboy - I have located a couple of sites that sell these but they are much more expensive than Elk's cost for Konis, by approix £100!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
mowgli,

I adjusted them up to 1.5 turns based on reading a few setting duscussions on this forum. 2 was deemed very hard - and 1.5 is still a bit too much for the std. Aero springs I reckon - Maybe .5 to 1 would be better.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I just need the money now...

Looking forward to a bit more surefooted
from the aero. I love the way this car catches people by surprise, and a 100 mile trip is accomplished quickly, safely and in loads of comfort. Its the best car I have EVER had (34 in total since 1984).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]There is still a bit of body movement but cornering is great (I think the harder rear setup gives a more oversteer tenmdancy - turnin is vastly improved) and I actually think my rear springs have sagged a bit as its seems to sit lower at the back (before and after the konis were fitted) so I'm going to go for proper lowered springs and fit the konis at the front. Currently stuck as to what brand of springs to fit. [/qb][/b]
i fitted yellow konis and had springs made to order from germany (long time ago before kits were available) it tranformed the car to the point were it would grip anf grip then slide all 4wheels at once under hard cornering (or motorway sliproads BUT.. the rear springs sagged after 6months as well.. dont know why, just my twopence worth!
..and in case you were thinking of self fitting - the front dampers were hell to fit because theyre only inserts not full units.. chopping down the outer sleeve of the originals was great fun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.