Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I purchased an EMS Stinger 32 bit engine management computer. I have no problems in wiring it up to the engine but would like to integrate it into the rest of the wiring to the Climate control etc. Can this be done or do I have to say good bye to some features?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm doing a Motec install but it's a project in progress so no where near finishing. When you say climate control do you mean air-con? Whether or not you will use an output and whether or not it can be done all depends on the specs of the ECU your using.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
When i was looking at using a Wolf3D EMS in my '87 i was told that i could have the old Bosch Jetronic LH in there still, controlling the ACC and the idle control. maybe you can set the system up like that too?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grentarc, did you do the swap to the Wolf?
Also, does anyone know if I can use the original Saab crank angle sensor? It seem that there is a 12V, a signal and a grounding wire/s, but I also need a reference. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well I guess your talking about a 9000? The original crank sensor might not be good enough. There are only two or three slots in the shutter wheel (depending on if you've got DI or EZK) and that might not be enough for the ECU you plan to use. Motec say 12 slots is a good place to start and I need a cam sensor for the REF. I'm planning to stick something on the end of the exhaust cam which should be able to provide the ref signal.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The Trionic Saabs use the Ion sensing system built into the ecu and DI rack to sense cam phase. And the 94+ Trionic cars also use the "cog wheel" 32-2 crankshaft position sensor.

There was a site selling Saab standalone ECU's with the DI rack compatibility. The website seems to be down though. hmmm

Dubbya~

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the company making the Saab compatible stand alones is called NIRA. I sent them an email a while back, they couldn't even give me a price or distribution!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I didnt ed up getting the wolf, as i am looking for a newer car instead. the '87 is just a bit run down right now, so i am just going to probably get a 7 or 8 year old aero and stage 1 it as soon as i get it

·
Registered
281 Posts
the 94+ Trionic cars also use the "cog wheel" 32-2 crankshaft position sensor.[/b]
So would it be possible to get a shutter-wheel from a 94+ 9000 and use this with the sensor from an older 9000? I already have the old-type sensor and Motec say these sensors are fairly capable so increasing the number of teeth shouldn't be a problem. But if anyone has tried this particular combination it would be good to know how it went.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by ejenner:
[qb] QUOTE
the 94+ Trionic cars also use the "cog wheel" 32-2 crankshaft position sensor.[/b]
So would it be possible to get a shutter-wheel from a 94+ 9000 and use this with the sensor from an older 9000? I already have the old-type sensor and Motec say these sensors are fairly capable so increasing the number of teeth shouldn't be a problem. But if anyone has tried this particular combination it would be good to know how it went. [/qb][/b][/quote]The MY1993 2.3T 9000's use the same components as all the DI/LH APC electronics including shutter wheels etc but have the benefit of the very early Trionic T5.

Andrew

·
Registered
281 Posts
Someone I spoke to today said that on the 94 + cars the shutter wheel was done away with and was replaced by something similar to an ABS sensor. This sensor reads notches on the crank instead of holes in a shutter-wheel on the back of the crank pulley. So I guess this means I must carry on with the fabrication of the custom shutter-wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the easiest option for me will be to buy the Magnetic sensor that goes with the engine control unit and put magnets into the flywheel/crank pulley.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts