Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the coolant temp sensor (inlet manifold) as suggested in earlier posting. The car still has problem when cranking at normal temp, takes a while to start. I notice that the rev counter pointer is still when cranking...is this supposed to move? Also, the exhaust inner surface used to be slightly sooty but is very clear now (no soot). The plugs are new NGKs gapped at 1.1 and a new DI unit which was lying as spare for some time.
No error codes or any other visual indications.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by mutungi:
[qb]I notice that the rev counter pointer is still when cranking...is this supposed to move?[/qb][/b]
I always thought it should, but I've just tried it on my Aero and the needle didn't move until it fired. Whether it wold have moved eventually if it hadn't fired quickly, I can't say for sure.

Which year and model is it again? Does it perform well enough once it starts?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 9K CSE LPT '94 2.0L Auto, once started drives perfectly, steady idle, no hesitation, etc.....but have noticed that there is no soot on the exhaust inner surface at the tailpipe . When cold, starts without a problem!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My car, like yours has a cat and the tailpipe is also completely clean, which I'm sure it should be.
Possible warm start problem could be leaky injector(s). When the car has been run the fuel line remains pressurised for some time. Leaking injectors would allow fuel to build up in the manifold causing a rich mixture and reluctance to start. When the car is cold the line pressure will be zero or very low and any fuel in the manifold will have evaporated away, although a cold engine would tolerate any surplus fuel more easily. Maybe running an injector cleaner through it might help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does the tach bounce when cranking? if not, this would be an evidence of a faulty crank position sensor. If it does, it's an evidence of its wellness.

BTW, CPS wasn't there in '87 cars I believe.

[ 27.04.2003, 00:27: Message edited by: Stefano ]

Hello the above was posted on my thread when I was having starting problems - My tacho bounces as described by Stefano.

I tend to side with Derick above in suspecting the injectors - Look at my thread for some of the things I/we tried - I ended up draining the fuel (putting in better higher RON value)and replacing the ECU - When examining the insides of the old one the main Eprom chip appeared loose - When I stump up the courage I will swap it back to see if that was the problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Derick - yes you did - thanks.

I will change the ECU back over at the weekend so This will confirm that the problem was there.

Just enjoying being on the road with it again!!

Too scared to swop in case it won't run

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.