Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the general debate about rear ARBs/handling etc I have finally finished off the pieces of my upgrades, so suspension is now as follows:

Abbott Springs,
Konis, (set to 1 turn all round)
SAS rear bar (SAS bushes)
Superflex front ARB bushes (only the 19mm wrap around ones),
Powerflex rear front arm bushes (bit more supple that SuperF)

The handling to my mind is now very good indeed (relatively). Turn in is great, and the car actually responds to steering input really nicely.
My plan was to combat any potential oversteer tendancies due to the SAS rear bar by using poly on the front ARB and as far as I can feel, this has worked as in the dry/damp at least, I cannot get the back to step out when lifting off suddenly mid corner - feels stable and composed and drifts nicely in a balanced way. I'll check again in the wet but the trade off in response is already worth it.
The biggest improvement is that you can actually feel what's going so even when things do step out of line it's easy to control when compared to the vague effort before and I can't wait to bin the Eagle NCT5s for a fresh set of S03s as the tyres are now a bit of a weak link, although not bad.
Downsides? - I'd say that now the poly at the front has been done, although it's not any firmer, it feels slightly less supple. I do reckon poly on the ARB tie bars at the front and/or an heavy front ARB might really start to hurt the ride though.
So thanks for advice from this folks on this site - very helpful indeed!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
As you say faero 'poly on the ARB tie bars at the front and/or an heavy front ARB might really start to hurt the ride'.
I would agree that the harshness they introduce through the steering wheel is unacceptable. I had droplinks with poly in them and it was awful in my opinion. I had them taken off and new Saab originals fitted.

Nick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts