Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most irritating thing with the 9000's is the amount of roll when cornering. I've read that the 1" rear ARB improves that no end, but what difference does a front strut brace make to this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Very little difference to the roll, but a big difference to the 'firmness' of the front body structure. If you have any creaks coming from the dash area they happen as the body flexs over bumps, with the strut brace the body flex is reduced and the noises from the dash eliminated. Also the increased body firmness allows the suspension to do its' job more effectivly. In essence the car feels years younger!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yep - the strut brace just feels good. To reduce roll you need stiffer springs/dampers or a new ARB(s)
To improve matters, in no particular order:
1) Strut brace (£120)
2) Rear ARB poly bushes £10-20
3) New Springs/dampers £500
4) Rear ARB upgrade (I think this could result in rather odd handling if it was the only upgrade on a standard car IMHO) £170
5) Poly front arm rear bushes. £20-40
6) Refresh appropriate standard bushes if over 100k miles. (£not much)

If you specifically want to reduce roll, I'd plump for the springs/dampers otherwise I'd do 1) & 2) and see how it feels.
Pays your money etc.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I echo Marks comments as I have a few poly bushes, Koni dampers and Abbott springs, front strut brace and a rear ARB.

It is massively improved on the standard car, but still don't expect miracles - my Mondeo still handles better!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Exactly the point I was making, John, though I did not elaborate. Whatever you do to a ten year old chassis, it still has considerably more flex than one fitted to a new car. I should add that the Mondeo is a brand new ST220, but the difference is marked, especially when you consider that my 9000 is around 200kg lighter too.

Having said that, the difference handling upgrades make to the 9000 cannot be overstated. Just watch out how many poly bushes (especially front ARB) you fit if you wish to retain any sort of ride quality and comfort. After all, that's part of what a 9000 is about!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Having said that, the difference handling upgrades make to the 9000 cannot be overstated. Just watch out how many poly bushes (especially front ARB) you fit if you wish to retain any sort of ride quality and comfort. After all, that's part of what a 9000 is about!  [/b]
I've rubber left in:-

The upper eyes of the rear ARB hangers
The rear axle upper arms going rearwards
The 2 hydraulic engine mounts.....
And the tyres.

I think I've some scope left to poly some more yet

Andrew
LSD, Poly, Springs, Dampers, bigger F&R ARB and front strut brace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts