Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several suspension upgrades for the 95 the cheapest that I have found is a set of springs from H&R approx £130. Q? How great is the differance between the makes, no one gives the spring rates. My 95 is a family car that occasionally is thrown at a corner or two, will the extra expence of the eibach's be that evident. Also an engine upgrade on a 2.0lpt what mpg can I expect, I currently get 32mpg.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene fiatman!!

There are some cheaper than that from eurocarparts and I have heard of at least two Saab owners taking them off again after fitting!

I'd go for a big brand as you really only want to be fitting them once!

Try a search in the 9-5 forum there is a "Lowering springs" mega thread in there somewhere

As for the MPG I have a Maptun Stage 2 on my 2.0 9-5 and get about the same MPG (under the same conditions ) as I did before!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yes, I do have H&Rs. They are a bit on the stiff side but with the Konis, they work quite well. For more of a family car, I'd go with something a bit more on the comfy side. I couldn't tell you if the H7Rs are just as stiff on the 9-5 though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi,

I use H&R Springs on my Viggen Convertible, and they are just great - and still quite comfy.

I know of at least three other fellow Saabers who are very happy with those.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have the Saab upgrade, and my fuel consumption is unchanged - I was averaging 35mpg tank-to-tank cruising at 90-95mph in German in the summer.

As to suspension, I personally think the Eibachs are too hard for a family car. Yes, you will definitely notice the difference and the car will be soooo much more driveable
, but there is a definite tradeoff. Mine is a standard car which initially had the 15" wheels with 65 profile tyres, and the ride was just about OK then. However, it was brilliant with a fully loaded holiday car - perfectly damped and little body roll. This says to me that Eibach have got their spring rates set too far towards handling rather than comfort.

Since I fitted the 16" wheels with 55 profile tyres, the ride in the rear particularly is not to my liking, but once again, the drive improved. You pays your money and takes your choice. It would be worth trying a couple of setups before deciding - some people have commented that the Abbott suspension upgrade is more comfortable I think.

It's also worth saying that when I left Trent Saab after having the Eibachs fitted, I was horrified at the ride - I thought I had ruined a perfectly good car. However, they settled down and smoothed out over the next thousand or so miles.

On balance, I'd say I was a bit disappointed. If I was upgrading, I'd look round and try more options before deciding.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by MikeLoadsaSaabs:
[qb]  This says to me that Eibach have got their spring rates set too far towards handling rather than comfort.

It would be worth trying a couple of setups before deciding - some people have commented that the Abbott suspension upgrade is more comfortable I think.[/qb][/b]
I agree that it is best to try a couple of different set-ups before comitting your cash. Reason for this is that suspension is such a subjective thing.

Regarding Comfort/Handling there is always going to be a trade-off between the two. The Eibachs are supposed to be set-up for handling - that's why I got them and that's why my Saab handles so much better than when standard.

Try and drive different cars before you make a choice.

Originally posted by MikeLoadsaSaabs:
[qb] It's also worth saying that when I left Trent Saab after having the Eibachs fitted, I was horrified at the ride - I thought I had ruined a perfectly good car.  However, they settled down and smoothed out over the next thousand or so miles.

On balance, I'd say I was a bit disappointed.  If I was upgrading, I'd look round and try more options before deciding. [/qb][/b]
When I had my Eibachs fitted, the Saab tech at WMSS was astounded at the improvement in handling ...and so was I. Maybe mine bedded in over time - I don't know - they felt fantastic as soon as I drove away

I actually drove Leon's and JohnM's 9-5s before deciding to go with the Eibachs. I had been in a number of other Saabs with different suspension set ups and Eibachs were best for my requirements.

That said, it is harsher around poor urban roads - but the standard suspension never really performed that well, either.

You pays your money, you takes your choice - but try and drive some first

·
Registered
1 Posts
Along the same lines, i was driving down a mountain road in my 9-5 in a hurry to watch american football (sadly) and i pushed it... well it cornered quit good except in the combination of small hills or dips on a curve, upset the suspension. my best thinking was it needed a shock upgrade. for better dapmening wouldnt this due?

·
Registered
22 Posts
can someone maybe do a rating for the springs?

Wich spring is harder and wich spring is more to the comfort side

daking

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
That may be possible, but might also be of limited use.

It depends on what sort of roads you drive on and your subjective view of the ride quality.

I think Eibachs are comfortable and are a good balance between firm handling and ride comfort. Others think they are either too firm or not firm enough.

What is of more use is to drive a friends Saab with different suspension - this is what we do at the Saabscene meets - compare each others Saabs.

There are fairly regular meets in NL, too

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Suspension ride/handling will largely be down to personal choice.

I'm overall happy with the Eibach setup, it is stiff, but my fillings are intact , and a number of people (non saab peeps) who been in the car have commented how nice it rides considering... and it just comes into it's own on the twisty B roads that make up 80% of my driving time.

I've tried abbott's setup, for me imho it was too soft, still rolled a fair bit too much for my likeing, although more controlled than std setup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice, seems to be a popular question, eibachs or not? I have heard enough so its the eibachs for me, besides they are not that much more expensive. I have just recently discovered saabscene and it is reassuring to know that there is somewhere that i can turn to for free advice. On that note my 95 sometimes emits a squeal after starting from cold, definately not a starter problem, it appears to be coming from the front of the engine.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
squeal on start up when cold (or damp) could be a slipping drive belt - but please feel free to post another question in the 9-5 section to explore the possibilites

1 - 13 of 13 Posts