Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share this with those who maybe thinking of fitting one to their Saab!

Some of you may have seen my recent post regarding slow spool up of my T28 turbo, well between the posters here and the help of Nordic it has now been narrowed down to the turbo...in a word it's f****d

During the last couple of months I have been toying with the idea of fitting the GT28RS, having read the reviews people are writing about it on the net I had set about pricing the additional parts required to fit on a 9000, despite good prices in the states you are still looking at close to a grand when shipping is added (including turbo).
Software is also another cost, £550+
is what I was once quoted for custom software for my T28.
The downpipe is a problem area, if you have a 3" JT d/pipe the bend and flange are not 3" and you will have to either fabricate a new 3" bend or buy a custom downpipe...one tuner lists one for almost £300, intake pipe is also another consideration custom pipe £140.

So...to make it as easy as possible to fit a GT28RS onto a 9000 the cost would be close to £2000...I know it has been done much cheeper but I was costing for an easy bolt on job.

The "Disco Potato" is becomming the turbo choice for many different makes of turbo cars including Saab and many tuners (not including Saab tuners) have been supplying them as bolt on packages.

After not finding exactly what I wanted on the net I made a few phone calls to Swedish tuners and discovered that a number of these turbo's are being fitted over there on models..9-3,9000 and the 9-5.

This is the kit I have pre-ordered for my 9000 2.0ltr...
GT28RS with A/R .64
Rated at 370bhp

Polished and ported (exhaust side)
Exhaust flange bolts onto JT d/pipe
Turbo clocked to suit
Wastegate Actuator and bracket re-positioned
No additional oil and water lines required (may need to be bent slightly to fit)
Software for the above with a max boost of 1.1bar and mapped for "Green Giants"...fortunatly I have a set that cost me £0.00 from a good friend

One part which is not supplied is a silicone or rubber adapter/connector between the orig.intake pipe and turbo.

This can be bought for almost half of my costings above at approx £1100 which also includes the software

Unfortunatly I will be pioneering this on the 9000 2.0ltr and will have to wait approx 4 weeks for the software as the programmer is on holiday at the moment

I shall post an update as to how "Bolt On" the kit really is once fitted.

Steve

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Software for the above with a max boost of 1.1bar and mapped for "Green Giants"...fortunatly I have a set that cost me £0.00 from a good friend  [/b]
Those are the kind of friends you look after.

I'd be interested to see how you get on Steve. I'd imagine you can use the T28 software for the interim providing the base boost is reduced slightly to minimise the risk of overboosting?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Søren Hviid:
[qb]Hirsch is also using the GT28RS on their 305 HP 95 Aero! But they are not using the 3" down pipe! [/qb][/b]
Hirsch does not use the GT28RS, its a modified T28BB...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Steve,

I have this same turbo in my viggen and final result looks like this
potato in da viggen
Installation to my car was far from plug&play, but the 9k is a little easier do to the fact that the turbo is the other way around.

My friend installed a GT3076 to his 9k aero (physical size and connections about the same). Here are some notes about that installtion:

Intake hose does not fit, the disco has a 3" inlet while stock is around 2". This can be solved with a whole new hose or you can cut the old one after the "flex" part where the diameter is larger and install a connector piece to it.

Turbine housing has a different flage, stock is with 3 bolt and disco has a larger mouth and 5 bolts. You can cut your current DP and weld a new piece on to it or a elbow might work as well.

Water and oil lines do not fit that great. Its almost easier to build new ones from SS-braided lines than try to survive with current ones.

If the compressor does not have a connection for wastegate actuator you will need to make one or take the pressure elswhere, like from the pipe between comprssor and IC.

It is also wise to use a different acturator than that what comes with the disco. Its a 1.0bar actuator and does not work to well in a saab. I modified the std TD04 actuator to mine and it works great + base boost is 0.45-0.5bar

Final result did look like this after 20h of working
9k aero

also be aware that this turbo does not have the guts for 370, more like <350hp.

viggen does move like this with the disco
3rd gear acceleration from 50-150km/h

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like someone is aiming for the title of 'most powerfull 2.0 Saab in the UK'.... [thumbs up][/b]
Can't be far away from that now with 300+bhp

I'd imagine you can use the T28 software for the interim providing the base boost is reduced slightly to minimise the risk of overboosting?[/b]
Yes as long as I take it easy, until the ECU arrives I will be running on stock injectors, I am interested to see what difference the software and injectors will make.
The rev limiter is also being increased, somewhere in the region of 6700rpm.

Installation to my car was far from plug&play, but the 9k is a little easier do to the fact that the turbo is the other way around.[/b]
Some good info Vigge
Nice looking installation!
Hopefully mine will be more plug+play than yours, the turbo is being adapted by GIK Turbo to suit my current setup, I have been assured that it will bolt straight onto my JT d/pipe using a 3 bolt flange after the 5 bolt one that is fitted onto the housing (we shall see).

350bhp would be nice but in reality is beyond my reach on the 2.0ltr, possibly a few horses more than I currently have would be more realistic.
Apparantly the work carried out by GIK for the 9k takes the standard rating of 350bhp upto 370bhp.
Unfortunatly I have not come accross another Saab 2.0 owner with the GT28RS fitted as it would be handy to find out what sort of power figures to expect.

Steve

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Steve,

Speaking from my experience, I think you will find that you need to use stiffer valve springs to cope with the higher rev limit. The good news is they're not too expensive- about £4 each IIRC.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've fitted a GT28rs to my Aero. Not that difficult to do and not terribly expensive. Don't forget to fit an oil restrictor in the oil inlet though, since they need far less oil.

Fuelling is via an extra injector using an MF2 and set using a w/b sensor. This way I get standard fuelling when not running silly boost (35+mpg on the motorway) and bespoke, accurate fuelling when under boost.

As Vigge correctly states, there is no way you will get 370bhp from one, especially in .64 AR/ spec (mine is .86). If you want 370+ then go with the GT2871rs, although this turbo spools up much later.

I need to get the car on the dyno soon but I would say it puts out about 340-350bhp. Tandino drove it last weekend and guessed the same. Turbo spool up is similar to the TD04 and it will happily pump out 2 bar (unlike TD04s that flag at about 1.5 bar). Currently, I'm running it at about 1.6 bar.

Set up with this turbo the power is very accessible and, I suspect, in real world driving would be quicker than many big hp/turbo Saabs.

Alanb

·
Registered
661 Posts
Alan - i have to say i was very impressed with your set-up - well apart from the brakes

Immensly powerfull yet little percievable lag - felt little different to a TD04 in spool up time.
Quickest car ive driven full stop.

Pete.

·
Registered
288 Posts
With the smaller A/R the spool up is very similar to the std 15T in mid and high rev range. I low register it will pic up guick, but the 15T is faster in delivering the boost...

Alan, you dont want to raise your boost any higher, look into the compressor map for more details. Basically all you will do is generate heat, more likely better the gas exchange trough tyour engine--> low boost same airmass better efficiency

I run the disco with ~1.1 bar and get 465SCFM (72% efficiency) when the given max value with 60% efficiency is 495CFM for the compressor (boost < 1.0bar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
you dont get much more with the gt2871r tbh
quite surprised by the low boost pressures mentioned, impressive power considering, but yeah you will struggle to see over 350 with this turbo. my personal favourite gt to use is the gt30r (3071), you can still get quite a small housing to spin it up a bit earlier and even then 400bhp is not too much strain on it.
good to see people doing interesting things with saabs tho, here was me thinking they were just workhorses

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Rob_S:
[qb]you dont get much more with the gt2871r tbh
quite surprised by the low boost pressures mentioned, impressive power considering, but yeah you will struggle to see over 350 with this turbo. my personal favourite gt to use is the gt30r (3071), you can still get quite a small housing to spin it up a bit earlier and even then 400bhp is not too much strain on it.
good to see people doing interesting things with saabs tho, here was me thinking they were just workhorses       [/qb][/b]
If all other components are up to date the GT2871
will be anough for 400+ figures. Here is a dyno plot from a local RS2 with this turbo. Turbine is the smaller one, A/R 0.64

My friend just got his GT3071 installed to his 9k 2.3 yesterday, so we will see what happens.
One thing you need to watch out with the -71 compressor and saab is the fact that it will surge in low revs if boost is not limited low enough. The engine will simply not swallow the provided airflow which leads to surge.

For the same reason you see two torque peaks in that audi plot.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
nice one steve ..
The two litre is a good base for a real screamer of an engine change to solid lifters tho...
I would echo what mark was saying re the valve springs
I reckon my piston /valve interface was down to excessive revs and weak springs
The b**geration factor is getting all the bits and pieces to fit
like the 5 bolt adaptor and oil / water lines
It all takes time to source and have made up and often only available from the us or sweden
My car was off the road for 6 weeks waiting on parts
and that was just fitting a new manifold and downpipe !
Patience and a spare car is what you need !!

good to have another fast one up here...
Looks as if we need another day at Dastek !!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I got most of my turbo bits from ATP Turbo in the US. They do good delivery rates as well The only bits I had to make up were the induction pipe (a few Samco pipes and cut up 3" pipe), inlet pipe (straight 3" pipe again) and the downpipe (made by a great bloke for a few quid).

Because I had bought all the bits in advanace, the car was only down for 24hrs while the turbo was fitted.

All in all, it was well worth the time, money and effort.

Alanb

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone know where I can get the stiffer springs from? £4 each sounds pretty good, what sort of rating are we talking about?

The b**geration factor is getting all the bits and pieces to fit
like the 5 bolt adaptor and oil / water lines[/b]
Hopefully this factor will be reduced somewhat due to it being supplied as a Saab 9k fitment from GIK in Sweden, although once it has arrived I think I will get some braided oil/water lines made up.
Another job on the list is to move the h/flow intercooler further forward so that the radiator sits in it's origional position (may need more room)
To finish it off I will be fitting my new/secondhand Aero bodykit.
Should be quiet confusing to some...seeing it accelerate at warp factor 10 (upto 70mph)
with a 2.0t badge on the back

Looks as if we need another day at Dastek !![/b]
That's a must once it's fitted!

Steve

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
IIRC the ones fitted to mine were a "stock" Volvo. I got them from Abbott and was pleasantly surprised how cheap they were. Give them a call.

IIRC Maptun also sell them, but not sure how much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the 2871 will be well out of its depth at 450
and tbh its a poor buy if you are looking for that sort of power - a bigger gt30 is what you want.
that rs2 graph shows it too, not a particularly good torque curve, loses it very early, i presume/hope thats pre-mapping

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Rob_S:
[qb]the 2871 will be well out of its depth at 450  
  and tbh its a poor buy if you are looking for that sort of power - a bigger gt30 is what you want.
that rs2 graph shows it too, not a particularly good torque curve, loses it very early, i presume/hope thats pre-mapping [/qb][/b]
The curve is from pre-mapping and the bottom end does not look to well do to compressor surge and boost limiting to avoid it. They ran out of time but it should work better now = more linear torque curve.
Also keep in mind that this RS2 revs a bit more than a "normal" saab does.
Of course the GT2871 is not a good choice for +400bhp figures, but this shows about what can be achieved if all the other compoments are up for the job.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts