Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or do other members get fed up with the over-usage of hazards lights / indicators as a way of saying 'thanks for letting me out/pass'.

You only have to let someone out these days and chances are they may acknowledge by using their hazard lights or their indicators ( to signal in both directions usually ) to say 'thanks'.

I think this could be confusing for other road users - or am I just a grumpy old s*d ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think that people are just actually grateful that SOMEBODY let them out these days. It seems that people are increasinly less likley to let others out (must the predominance of BMW on the market!).

I have always given a quick flash of the hazards if someone pulls in to let me past etc, but a quick wave usually suffices when being let out of a junction.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi,

So you wouldn't complain if there wasn't an acknowledgement?

I think the hazard warning/indicator flashing originates from wagon drivers,

Wagon drivers...don't get me started.

From one grumpy old s#d to another.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I would feel a bit annoyed if there was no acknowledgement but I think a quick wave is sufficient in most cases.....all I'm saying is that I don't think it's appropriate in most cases - ie: hazard lights should be used to signify danger etc - not that I've just overtaken someone ....I'll go back to shouting at the tele now ...

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I tend to use the old HGV style left-right-left as a thanks, as it's a lot easier to do than finding the hazard switch while pulling away!

I really hate it when you DON'T get an cknowledgement from people, and I can't see what harm comes from the quick flash. Half the time these days, with tinted glass, dark interiors & road muck, you'd be hard pushed to see a wave from inside the car.

Just don't get me started on the type who will sit in the outside lane only slightly behind you as you're approaching slower traffic, but then refuse to either let you out or get past you when you signal your intention well in advance

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
...or the ones that come down the slip road behind you and fill the gap in the inside lane that you've lined up. Mind you, in the Aero it doesn't really matter because you are usually in the right hand lane and past him before he's checked his mirror to see if he can move to the middle lane

....and I hate people who flash headlights in acknowledgement when it's dark, and blind you. I try to give a quick turn off of the headlights instead. Why can' headlight flashers work in reverse when the lights are on? OK, I know that lights are just there to announce your presence, but how often do you flash lights at night to see where you are going, apart from "advising" other drivers that their lights are badly adjusted

·
Registered
56 Posts
The most peculiar one to me is people joining motorways and dual carriageways now - they seem to think it's their right of way! Don't get me wrong, it makes sense to move out to let slower traffic on - I always try to do it, and am grateful when others do it for me. But there are stacks of times when they literally force people into the middle lane! You can't always move for them, or the timing isn't right to flash them on in front of you.
Nobody wants to be stuck on the end of a slip road ever - but it's a give way line

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hence my comment 'the timing isn't right to flash them on in front of you', i.e. you are trying to assist but you can't always do that. The bottom line is ultimately it's a give way line - for them not you. Here endeth the rant.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wagon drivers, eh !!??!!

Well if that's the attitude around here about us courteous, friendly and, let's be honest, slow lorry drivers, then I'm going to sell my Saab and buy a Nissan Almera, or something like that!!

Or I could change my job !!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by Johnny:
[qb]Or I could change my job !!    [/qb]
Nah don't do that, we all need wagon drivers to get the stuff what we need. I think sometimes as car drivers we lack empathy for someone who's driving something very big, very slow and very bad at going around corners.

Although I don't have to drive during the working day (thank god), when I am on the road I try my best to be courteous.

Anyway, back on topic. Personally I have no problem with people being overly-thankful as long as it doesn't compromise their car control. However, a clear wave is usually sufficient imo, it's just a pity that there aren't so many people deserving of a wave.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I must read a current copy of the Highway code,the last one I did read advised,that when joining a motorway,to use the slip road as a acceleration lane and if unable to move into the inside lane to use the hard-shoulder untill you can safely move over,and on the original subject a wave or a flash all are welcome.
mike

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque Steer):
[qb] I think sometimes as car drivers we lack empathy for someone who's driving something very big, very slow and very bad at going around corners. [/qb][/b]
Ah, you mean people with American cars?

·
Registered
464 Posts
nowt wrong with lorry drivers, and by lorry i discount boy racer 7 1/2 tonne jobbys, without us the shelves in your local supermarket would be empty, your rubbish would not be collected, and your new shiny saabs would have hundreds of miles from delivery on them.....c'mon guys, how many of you that despise lorries have actually driven anything bigger than a transit...

as for approach lanes on motorways etc, the general rule of thumb (or at least the way i was taught on all of my licences), was that you find a gap in the traffic and adjust your speed/position to fit into that gap, if no gap is available the hard shoulder can be used although only in extreme circumstances but the person who stated it was a give way line is 100% correct, the people on the main carriageway have the right of way....the above procedure usually doesnt work as a lot of people dont look over their shoulder or in their mirrors until they are about to pull onto the main carriageway, some dont bother atall..

as for saying thanks, it costs nothing but is priceless, even a hand raised (in a polite manner) when you do something wrong to apologise to the guy/gal behind goes a long way.....indicator flashing was originally used by larger vehicles as if the driver did raise his hand no one would see it anyhoo...it is just something that has been adotpted by car drivers over the past years, im not complaining thanks is thanks in any language...

9000cse...you are just a grumpy old s*d

·
Registered
121 Posts
Being possibly one of the culprits - looking at from whence you hail - I would say that in many conditions, the reflection off my rear screen (in either the GM900 or the Primera I'm now driving) would preclude you from seeing a waved hand after I've turned, and both you and I would perhaps be more concerned DURING the manoeuvre that I don't crunch into the car that's in front of you and has suddenly stopped (because in my case it's the A56 which is stuffed full of people doing very silly things in front of the schools and bringing things to a sudden halt).

In other words, yes, you're being a grumpy old man - you'd be even MORE grumpy if people didn't acknowledge your existence after you've gone out of your way to help (which seems to be a trait of drivers in Altrincham ...)

Regards
Paul Whittle

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.