Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all. Does anyone please have the part numbers for the Brembo Group N Brakes for the 9000 Aero(both Front and Rear). I have looked at previous discussion topics and they don't seem to be listed.

Many thanks

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Front discs (pair): Brembo 09.5221.10
Rear discs (pair): Brembo 08.5037.10

If you're thinking of fitting the Ferodo DS2500 pads, then:

Front: Ferodo FCP256H (axle set)
Rear: Ferodo FCP296H (axle set)

Note that the front pads require a small amount of grinding (about 1mm or so) at the top and bottom edges of the backplate to make them fit the 9000 calipers.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Front discs (pair): Brembo 09.5221.10
Rear discs (pair): Brembo 08.5037.10[/b]
I've just ordered 2 of each of these this afternoon, they should be in tomorrow. They are to replace my warped and rusted mintex discs.

Brembo 09.5221.10 £34+v each
Brembo 08.5037.10 £16+v each

coming to £100 +vat.

They are trying to track down some DS2500's for me too, but they are not popular or stocked very much in Norfolk.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I've just found the receipt for the last set of disks in Nov 98.

they were:-
Mintex front at £35+v
Brembo rear at £16+v

So I saved £2+v over the last set

Andrew

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi all

Sorry to butt in on this discusion ... but ...

Does the Aero have bigger disc's than the CSE model?

And are these Brembo disc's from Saab or direct from Brembo?

The reason I ask is because I am about to replace my discs soon and was going to get the group N discs from Trent Saab, but these Brembo's are a lot cheaper.

Can some one advise ?

Many thanks

Damo

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
DaMoB,

The 9000 Aero's have the same size brakes, it's the 9-5 Aero's that have bigger brakes than the standard 9-5's.

The Discs I've bought should be the HC version (high carbon), and very grey.

I'm sure Billj will be along soon.

Andrew

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero owner:
[qb]They are trying to track down some DS2500's for me too, but they are not popular or stocked very much in Norfolk.

Andrew [/qb][/b]
Andrew,

My local supplier does mail order for a wide range of stuff incl the Ferodo pads...

Circuit Supplies (UK) Ltd
Unit 22, Harmill Industrial Estate, Grovebury Road, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, LU7 8FF.
Tel: (01525) 385888
Fax: (01525) 385898
E-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thanks Andrew,

Where did you get them from?

I’ve been trying to get hold of the "Proper" Brembo grey iron discs for a while now, I suspect that the Trent Saab ones are using these as blanks and machining the groves themselves.
The guys at German & Swedish don't seem to be able to understand the difference between std disc's and grey iron ones ! as they keep quoting me for the std replacement discs.

BTW I was in very good motorsport supplies shop yesterday in somerset,and the chap there was telling me to get the new DS3000 pads as they are much much better than the DS2500.
So I had a look on Ferodo's web site - and the DS3000's have a 0.62 coefficient of friction, That is massive !! The only thing is the ferodo site says "Not for road use" I can only assume this is because of the wear factor as I was told they are a lot softer on the disc's.
Interestingly the DS2500 are not on Ferodo's list at all, so it's a possibility that they are being discontinued?

Any one else heard of the these DS3000?

Damo

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I run them on Saabine - yes, braking power is massive, they squeal on application (though not as bad as some other compounds out there) and it sure looks like they wear out the discs really quick. Reputedly they also shed hot metal particles all over your wheels as they (and the disc) get really hot on the track - haven't noticed that after the odd emergency braking I had to perform up until now. My wheels haven't suffere so far, but I take a towel to the fronts at least after a drive to remove brake dust.

For Saabine, they're perfect - I bet even a set of massive AP/Brembo front calipers/discs couldn't touch the set up I have now using standard (late) 9000 discs an calipers on a c900. But the performance comes at a price - on a daily car, I would sooner use the DS2500.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thanks All for the info.

Ill be looking into those today (monday)

BTW did you see the BremboMax disc's on the same page - no info as far as what type of material they are - i.e. Grey iron or HC - but do look nice tho

Thanks Again

Damo

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The DS3000 is a non-gassing compound and works best on a plain-surfaced (i.e. no grooves) disc; don't know about the DS2500's but I'd wager to say that the same goes for them as Mark got un-grooved discs as part of the Trent Saab Stage 2 package, with his DS2500's.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
According to Trent DS2500 is also non-gassing...

Andrew, where did you get your discs from and do they supply mail order? I'm in need of a new set at the back

·
Registered
403 Posts
I agree, slots are only really usefull for track days if you really do get them hot.

Billj on trent saab's site under tuning products it says:
(quote from page)

Group N
Grey Iron discs
These discs are exclusive to Trent Saab and are constituted from pure grey cast iron. They are far more stable at high temperature and will endure the stresses of sudden heat cycling without the cracking often associated with cheaper mass-produced units. Both faces of the disc have 8 evenly spaced machined grooves.

Damo

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The new disks, unfortunatly the company does not do mail order.

If the pads can be got this week then the weekend will be busy again.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
You're right, DaMoB. However they do seem to ship plain discs unless what I and others have isn't what they describe as "Group N". Interesting...  [/b]
I think the 'grooved' description on the Trent site was appropriate back when they carried Pagid pads and the grooves actually served a purpose (presumably). The only thing they changed after they went to Ferodo pads was swap the word 'Ferodo' for 'Pagid' everywhere where the latter was mentioned on the site...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Just popped down to Circuit Supplies for some rear DS2500s and found them most pleasant to deal with. They're the main distributor in the UK for Ferodo racing pads and they keep both pads in stock (I had been expecting to have to order them).

They quote £53-odd + VAT for the rears, although I got a discount for collecting them rather than having them delivered. They opened up an AP brake kit to show me what it consists of and gave me a run-down on the various pad materials, including showing me a pad where the heat-insulating layer between the friction material and the backing plate was visible. The DS3000 are not recomended for the road, although apparently they will withstand a high enough temperature without fade to melt the surface of a brake disc on a Renault Clio.

The drawbacks of DS3000 are that braking performance is less progressive than the DS2500, they need a bit more heat to start to bite and they eat discs (braking with DS3000 "looks like a catherine wheel", apparently). For smaller cars (like the aforementioned Clio) they find that lap times are actually faster with DS2500 than DS3000. I asked whether the 1.5 tonnes would be heavy enough to warrant the use of DS3000, but they didn't think so if it were to be used on the road as well.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts