Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking around for an 87 9000 kit, I have found there are M.Y 88' - 92' kits floating around. I am just curious what are the reasons an 88 wouldn't fit the 87? Boy does it add a lot! Also any good places to buy from? preferably, where they won't rip my arm off (unless they ask first.......) I mean Geez, just cause I have a Saab(used, very used old, old old old, inexpensive, but fast, Saab) Doesn't mean I have tons o cash! you know? Some of these people think
well if they paid $30,000 for it 15 years ago, they must have $3000 for this lug nut . Umm,.... hello?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
are these original or aftermarket kits?

If they are original, then you pay a price premium becuase they are made by Saab and they are made in limited numbers.

If they are aftermarket, the firm selling them has a very limited market being that they are producing for cars that have been out of production for a number of years and, thus, their already limited market will be shrinking.

Add to that the tooling up costs, minimum order run and then costs of advertising and selling the things, you can quickly see why such kits for a premium car does not come in at a bargain basement price.

I do not think that it is always a case of suppliers trying to rip-off Saab owners, as is often made out, it is more a case of economics.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ground effects??? nah, never going to happen I'm afraid It's all personal choice of course but as I'm sure you know aftermarket body kits are 90% for show usualy (Ford X packs were originaly developed for race/rally use and so are a slightly different case perhaps) If you're looking for a car to 'mod' tho you've made a VERY bad choice with a Saab 9000 - quick as f**k but you're more than likely on your own with tacky fibreglass/grp bodykits

·
Registered
155 Posts
i agree with most here, regarding saabs in general, the less is more approach towards saab styling, is what makes them as striking as they are. take my 9000 cds in silver, (off the rad till next week, as having new g/box fitted), the only thing cosmetic is replaced alloys with saab pear shape alloys, red callipers, front and rear bottom valance colour coded, and tinted windows. i've had this car a while now, and it always gets the right heads turning, (of the female variety). but if you wanna kit your saab out, fine, but personally, i'd rather send the dosh on an upgrade.

all the best

teesside saab

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geez calm down, I asked a question! If your opinions of your Saabs differ from mine, start your own post to discuss that! I don't care, what you think. (but I won't stink up your post)
Let me tell you the story behind ground effects.(don't read if close minded) My neighboor/best friend loved my Saab so much he went out and got a 92'9000 turbo that pulls harder that mine I, once the painter of jealously; free Saab,less than $800 spent to get it in mint condition! & totally leaving him and his ford probe in the dust! I am now painted bright neon green!
I have done a couple speed mods, but I stopped! my 9000 is fast enough! I mean leaving mustangs at the line wondering who, what, when, where and why. I am now going for show. I always thought Kevin's(kprm77) 9000 was smokin hot! I have not seen one like that here in Cincinnati. (Even though Saabs are very popular here.) Let me tell you, I would be able to spray paint the whole town green, not just my best friend. /john, I have only seen oem, thank you for your information. Kevin, did they even sell that Carlsson in the US? Two things. Why buy a car when one is given to you? And my friend told me that adding a ground kit will make the car levitate!!!!!! No freakin duh!!!!!!!!
p.s Please lol at this post. If not able, this message will self destruct and start a chain reaction of computers blowing up, eventually causing the end of the world. The future is in your hands.(no not you...) uh oh, anyone got a spaceship?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The Carlsson was only produced for the UK market, which is why you won't have seen any over in the US. I don't know if there were any aftermarket kits made, but I don't think you could get better than the carlsson kit anyway.

Neil

ps. I think everyone should calm down, if someone wants to put bodykit on their car that's up to them. I think they look ok if tasteful.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Yup, the Carlsson was a UK only model. Good question is why so many love the Carlsson and hate the idea of body kit?

Anyway the web site you want is probably this one . Their ground effect kit is $850 and a spoiler, I think, $150. If you look at the photos it's kind of difficult to tell it's not a Carlsson...

·
Registered
865 Posts
well,dansaab i agree with you saabs are fab cars,but unless you have carleson or aero/they just dont look the biz,side skirts def/f/r bumpers also,if you got the grunt show it. i was parked next to aero in s/market watched folk passing both cars/all looked twice at aero,end of sermon;;;;;;;

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think the whole thing is simply a matter of taste. I personally like the ground effects on the Aero. The reason being is that they are subtle. Non Aero by its self looks great, put an Aero next to it and it starts looking a little plain. Aero by its self looks great with out being tacky. Its all a matter of perception and comparrison. In defense of my fellow yank I know we sometimes go overboard with the cosmetics but give him a break-none of us even know what the kit looks like.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I happen to think there's a reason that people come up to me all the time and say "I usually don't like Saabs, but yours is really nice...".

It's mainly because i have a Talladega version and there's a few more color matched parts, a front lip spoiler and nicer rims.

Dave

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
OK having seen the link provided by SteveN I am sold,that spoiler has got to replace the rubber thing that is stuck on the rear end of mine,only prob is ,where do I buy?Elkparts? Now where did I see that ad for a Granada?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey thanks SteveN, You da Man! (US for YOU DA MAN) LOL anywhooo. I think it's wierd the Carlsson is soo popular, and ground effects are like the osama bin laden. Mention you like them and everyone looks at you funny. It really stinks that an overall(&spoiler) installation is over $1550!!! product, s/h, installation and painting.
Guess I won't be spray painting the town green. Too much dosh. (for a car I only plan on having for a 2-3mo years) If anyone out there has plans to do this to thier 9000 post pics, I know at least everyone in Cincinnati will be jealous!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Interesting who does/doesn'nt like body kits.
Of course it's a matter of personal preference.

Regarding ground effect, having lower front air dam and side skirts will definately improve ground effect, which will improve traction on bends, so long as you are travelling at a fair speed!!

As most cars would take off with 2x 10foot wings at 100mph, there must be considerable improvement in traction at 80mph+. But you are talking scary stuff if you want to race around bends in excess of 80mph in order to benefit from side skirts. Anyway, this is racetrack stuff (IMHO), so I can only recommend going for air dam, side skirts, etc for pose value.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are you sure the skirts, dams and other general dressing increase the downforce by the ground effect in this particular car?? I agree with the speed aspect (you need to go fast to feel the difference), but was under the impression that the car's underside has to be modelled appropriately. Remembering dear Bernoulli: increased air velocity leads to lower pressure (the preservation of energy), but in the presence of dams and skirts only, you may well find the hollow created leads to turbulence under the car, and possibly decreased downforce.

Whether they look good or not, goes according to individual taste.... not so?

·
Registered
243 Posts
A lively debate then I still maintain that on public roads you aren't going to get much 'ground effect' whatever you do because of the inevitable bumps and potholes. Also, as pva mentions race teams don't just stick a bodykit on a car to get it to go quicker there is a lot more to it than that..... HOWEVER I've got nothing against people doing it and a lot of it is down to taste eg. I think the Carlsson bodykit looks tacky but quite like the Aero and even more extreme I would give garage space to a properly X-packed 3L Capri but never a Tickford - but on a road car on public roads bodykits are just a fashion statement imho (which is all it is)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.