Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i turn the steering wheel to the right i can hear a low level grinding or rubbing noise coming from the area of the front nearside wheel,the front brakes are in good nick.Any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's as you would be turning into say a 90 degree turn.certainly not just on full lock,it's the sort of light grinding noise you would expect to hear when braking on knackered pads.hope this helps cheers, Peter.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Have you checked for trapped stones?
Just had an instance at work today, van came in making horrendous grinding noises when you turned the steering at low speed. Automatically assumed that it would be worn pads, turned out to be a large pebble trapped in the calliper frame.
How the hell it got in there i'll never know. had to lever it out with a large pry bar!!!!
Pete.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Possibly wheel bearing play allowing the disc to rub on something as you turn but would think it would do it on both right and left locks.

Have you checked for tyre rubbing on inner wing liner; mine does that on both full locks; never failed mot for it though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmmm, sounds like my car, (before repair) I had been told it was the axle boot(or something like that). After many years enough dirt can get in and break down the bearings allowing metal to touch resulting in a grinding sound while driving. It was described as a snapping situation. When too much force gathers on the axle in a turn, it will snap resulting in an immovable car(it will seem like trans or clutch car will not move) I had my whole car repaired including brakes lines, rotors and pads.
So I can not tell you absolutly whether or not new axle was the repair that fixed the grinding.(but was told it was:)
good luck!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
From the way you describe it, it does sound like possible wheel bearing, or back plate/ stone. It's worth checking out yourself as it costs nowt. Jack the car up and hold the wheel top and bottom and wiggle, if there's movement the bearing is wearing, also spin the wheel and listen for grinding. If you get no movement but a noise, take the wheel off and have a good look.

Neil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Peter9000,
I get identical noise from the offside, have you found the cause? In fact on a big Roundabout noticed mild fumes/vapours coming up momentarily from under passenger feet area!! This however does not occur if not accelerating, if I take my foot off the noise dies down

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i've finally sussed out what it was.believe it or not ,the big hub/wheel nut has no locking device,and it decided to unscrew itself,ouch!!!!!
new bearings needed and the tyre took a beasting as you can imagine.it got steadily ,horrendously worse,but thankfully it looks as if i got off lightly!! worth bearing in mind though(no pun intended),thanks for all your suggestions,peter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts