Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may remember I am considering a 9000 (Aero or Anniversary) but noticed there was also the 3 litre V6 Griffin available.

Having looked through these pages, I canot find out much about them - recommended, problems, that sort of thing.

Can anyone offer advice through ownership - the thought of a V6 with all the trimmings sounds appealing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi Naranto
I drive a 1996 V6 Griffin. Overall its a great car but I would strongly advise going for the Aero. The V6 has the goods on paper but married to that ZF auto, the whole car's performance is rather restrained. The auto shifts too soon in the rev range and you miss out on generating all the ponnies that the engine can muster. The Griffin has all the fruit but I 've also seen Aero's with all th egood gear too. Handling is pretty annoying in the Griffin. The front is heavier due to the V6 and the factory suspension is tuned more for luxury than spirited driving. Through the mid corner under load I have managed to scrape the front spoiler on the road (not going very fast either). The V6 is expensive to maintain too because you need to have your timing belt and tensioners changed quite frequently (I do mine every 40K km). Other than that the car is great and serves my family well as a luxury car. I do prefer the seats in the Griffin to the Aero (call me what you like but I find those sports seats in the Aero a little claustraphobic). Touch wood I haven't had any other trouble (other than a crook auto due to water damage, watch your transmission oil cooler circuit, keep your coolant to spec and make sure your mechanic checks this circuit after even a mild shunt). Overall though, I park near an Aero at work and every day I wish I went for the Aero.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.