Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
I could be wrong because I always confuse the two, but I thought it was the AWD S70 - doesn't it use the TD04-16?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
as far as I know the s70 is the (s)aloon and the v is the (v)agon
and I thought they only made the allroad in the v config..could be wrong tho...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I think they are on V70R and S70R as well as the AWD version. Year 2000 models are usually quoted but I think you can go back to 1998.

Dead cert is Yr 2000 V70R AWD Auto.

I've just managed to pick up a 2nd hand set (well its still a bit tenuous!) but I dont actually know what volvo they are out of but I'll try and find out. I do get a spare one though

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Search over, I've got some from Group 9 Performance in the States. Got a good deal due to the problems I had fitting the turbo they supplied. Even without the discount they are still cheap with the exchange rate in my favour though.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Have Group 9 supplied you with a remapped Jetronic box to suit these, or are you sticking with the standard software for now? I'm assuming that the standard software can control the new injectors.

Not that I'm in any position to follow suit you understand.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm relying on standard software at present, James at Group 9 is not convinced their chips will work over here with Optimax etc. I will fit my uprated fuel pump with a adjustable regulator and bigger injectors and take it back to the dyno to check out how its running...I just want it safe with the fuelling at the moment.
I'm awaiting Unichip to get their piggyback unit on the market...sometime in June, now so I believe.
Mind you I've still to fit the cams and that nice shiney intercooler and I've just managed to source a 2.3i N/A inlet manifold (like Kevin Yankton fitted), but don't have any spare time to work on my cars...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by Mark in Ireland:
[qb]I've just managed to source a 2.3i N/A inlet manifold (like Kevin Yankton fitted), but don't have any spare time to work on my cars...          [/qb][/b]
I'm a bit confused about the use of this inlet manifold... All the people that I've talked with about this says that the plenum is too small for a turbo engine. Do you really think that Saab uses different manifolds for the turbo and N/A engines just to make it more difficult?

Mind you that none of the 500+ bhp Saabs in Sweden uses this manifold - and it's not because they are hard to find here in Sweden!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
the plenum on the n/a car is huuuge..
keviny reported some real benifits using this
the real difference I would guessis that it flows the air really nicely into the ports..
the turbo plenum is cr*p in my estimation..

the flow comes out of the throttle body and has to turn sharp left to get into the first chamber

This set up is ok if the plenum is constantly at boost but as you know engine flow is dynamic and anything that smooths the flow is a good thing
might increase lag a little tho as you are increasing the volume to be pressurised before the engine
At the end of the day it may not increase hp but may help in other ways ..part throttle response etc

·
Registered
778 Posts
Like Friberg, I wonder about this manifold too. It appears to be an awful lot of work with very minimal gains. To me, it makes more sense to change other items, which give much larger performance increases, first. Once those are done (bigger turbo, bigger injectors, tuned headers, software, bigger IC,etc.), then the small percentage of increase from fine tuning the intake gets applied to a much larger base.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
http://www.kyankton.net/saab9000/intake.htm#

To me, it makes more sense to change other items, which give much larger performance increases, first. Once those are done (bigger turbo, bigger injectors, tuned headers, software, bigger IC,etc.), then the small percentage of increase from fine tuning the intake gets applied to a much larger base.  [/b]
Done most of that, going down other avenues now.

Been given a trial run with some Group9 Performance ecu and fuel chips, sale or return depending on how they perform. Will probably need a dyno session before and after to check them out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts