Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Gonna start this before Bill does.

Thanks to BillJ and Gelcoat I've had a great day at Goodwood.

Weather was COLD, Crisp, Bright and Dry.

I went expecting to be spectator and possibly passenger to BillJ in his Silver (Standard looking) Beast and to see a great many styles of car and driving.

I have to say Bill's car looks nice and performs well, niceley balanced and progressive, although when he took me out the first time I was thinking there's no way the cars going round that, but boy does it!

I think I'm sold, I will be track daying mine, and funds permiting I will be staging my car too.

I'll let Bell add any details he wants, I only havd to say silver and quick go together.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took my camera but never got to taking any

I ended up too busy, but Bill should have some video

I think someones bubble is going to be burst at some point....

I don't want to spoil Bill's glory, so I'll wait until he appears, but I've noted some interesting things.

Andrew

·
Registered
662 Posts
Used to ride horses on the lawn in front of the house, not permited now though. Don't mind the Saabs taking over

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero owner:
[qb]Actually, I thought BillJ would be back by now. I hope he didn't run out of petrol    [/qb][/b]
I'm back (well, been back for ages, but have only just got the chance to log on). Yes, I had a worrying drive for petrol since the tank was almost empty and Sainsbury's was out of unleaded

I had to go back to the Esso garage on the A27 and was extremely relieved when I pulled up beside the pump.

Well, what can I say but
?
Having examined the video, unfortunately I missed the last hour as I didn't get a chance to change the tape. That means your sessions and what I think were probably my fastest sessions aren't recorded. Pity, as the tyres only started to give their best by then, I think. S-03s seem to need to be melted a bit for best performance...

The video footage, unfortunately, while of great technical use (for lap times, etc.) is a bit boring otherwise. Unfortunately the camera was mounted a bit high and a lot of the track was obscured by the rear-view mirror. I think I'll have to tell the chap with the Elise III that there isn't much of interest to him. Pity. Anyway, there were a number of 1:42 laps and a lot below 1:45. I feel I might have lapped less than 1:42 before the end but there is no record of it. Chris Darwin's timing of 93 seconds (I've only just realised that's 1:33 not 1:43) must have been mistaken, as I have all the session up to then on video and there are no laps that fast. Still, he thinks my car is wonderful now

Andrew, I was amazed at your driving skill on your first time on the track (sure you haven't done it before?) and a little embarrassed too, remembering how cr4p I was on the Abbott day. You didn't even spin off once (thankfully).

Weather was perfect - dry and cold. I hope you and Gelcoat enjoyed the day as much as I did. Must find out what happened to MarkP and why he needed the AA...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Morning Bill!

Sorry I didn't manage to get yesterday. My cunning plan to charge down the motorway in my newly acquired (three days ago) silver T16 (185k, bit rough in places, but generally OK) to meet up at Goodwood, came unstuck just before J13 on the M1 when the front wheel bearing gave up the ghost.

To be fair, I only paid £300 for it (bargained hard from £750) and it had been stood for a while, but a new windscreen, a couple of new tyres, and a full service got it through the MOT on Thursday, so my confidence in it was quite high. I thought that a 500+mile round trip would get everything working smoothly again....

Should've used the GM after all. I very nearly did and even shuffled the cars round on the drive so that it was first off in the morning.

The cold must've got to my brain (it was 5.30am when I set off) because I simply couldn't resist giving the turbo a bit of a go on almost completely empty roads...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Bad luck Mark!

Maybe you can make it to another one? Bill and I are both doing Castle Combe on 22 Mar and Goodwood on 29 Mar.

Oh, and yes, I almost forgot, well done again Bill
- it's not fair though you getting in all this practice just so you can see a white car in your rear view mirror rather than in your windsreen

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andrew, I was amazed at your driving skill on your first time on the track (sure you haven't done it before?) and a little embarrassed too, remembering how cr4p I was on the Abbott day. You didn't even spin off once (thankfully).[/b]
Bill,

Yes honestly if was my 1st time ever on a track, and my 1st time ever having to try to put lots of accelerate, brake and corner together, and the 1st time I've driven with no reguard to top speed, regularly hitting 120mph down the back straight.

Things I noted were:-

10mpg!
How I felt confident in Bill's car, felt like home from home
How drivable Bills car is, progressive and predictable.
How smooth it is, it didn't feel quicker than mine, but must be!
You can feel the LSD pulling
The gearbox is smooooth.
The front left tyre too a hammering!
The brakes while always longer than mine, stayed firm with little to no fade.
Did I mention 10mpg!!!

Oh and yes I wasn't as quick as Bill by long shot, but it wasn't my car, I didn't know the track (or any other), I slowed too much for some corners, and didn't take the right lines through others and I will be looking at Snatterton in a few weeks.

Fun day though and a monster boosting silver car.

Andrew.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
[qb]Did I mention 10mpg!!!

[/qb][/b]
Only 10mpg? You must have been slipping- we've been nearer 9mpg previously haven't we?

Oh, and I've got a camcorder mount sussed for mine involving a monster tripod, and webbing straps. I'll bolt it on for the next couple of (track) days...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Only 10mpg? You must have been slipping- we've been nearer 9mpg previously haven't we?     [/qb][/b]
I've been pondering that and came to the conclusion that there are three possible factors:

<ul type="square">
[*]The tyres were [expletive deleted] for a lot of the day, limiting speed a bit, especially acceleration through the corners
[*]I was going easier on the brakes and entering the corners a bit faster than before
[*]The gear ratios were better-matched to Goodwood, so perhaps I was driving more "economically"
[/list]

Still, we burned 20 gallons of fuel over 200 miles of circuit driving.

One thing that was very pleasing was that towards the end we must have done four straight sessions, only pausing in the pits for long enough to swap drivers. Despite voicing concerns, Andrew had no problems with pushing the car as hard as I was so it really got a caning for almost 40 minutes non-stop. The only noticeable effect was that the tyres squealed more and more as time went on (or perhaps we were pushing it harder through the corners as the tyres were gripping better) and I noticed just a slight loss of power near the redline on the last session - perhaps the DI cartridge was overheating a bit or something. It was fine on the way home.

The longer pedal was simply due to the track driving. I've had this every time and I think it's due to the rear caliper adjusters not being able to keep up with the rate of pad wear. It's a lot better now and will probably be back to normal after a couple of days.

[qb]Oh, and I've got a camcorder mount sussed for mine involving a monster tripod, and webbing straps.[/qb][/b]
I used a tripod with Bungee straps. My camera's pretty [expletive deleted] and its tripod mounting point isn't very stable (plastic) but the video quality is actually better than I expected if only it had been mounted in a better position. I'll sort that for next time.

[qb]it's not fair though you getting in all this practice just so you can see a white car in your rear view mirror rather than in your windsreen[/qb][/b]
You're bringing the 900?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
[qb]The front left tyre too a hammering![/qb][/b]
And it was a brand new tyre, too

And I found your car very smooth, Andrew, probably partly because of the long gearing and lack of noise compared to mine. It seems pretty quick as well. Very hard to believe it's unmodified.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
And I found your car very smooth, Andrew, probably partly because of the long gearing and lack of noise compared to mine. It seems pretty quick as well. Very hard to believe it's unmodified.[/b]
Not if you've got a 1992 2.3FPT like mine it ain't!

As a matter of interest ... I was talking to one of the guys at West Midlands Saab service (Scott D's place) at the WM SOC meet on Thursday. I told him that my car was exceptionally quick and many people here suspected it had been tweaked. He reckons probably not, he specifically asked me if it had TCS, I told him it had. Apparently some 1992/1993 cars with TCS do run much quicker than cable-throttle cars as Saab set the APC (or Trionic ECU) safety cutoff's to more lenient levels. They considered that the TCS would provide additional protection against overboost spiking and detonation as these events tend to occur when engine revs rise very quickly, i.e. when traction is lost. Obviously this means that the car can adapt and increase boost levels accordingly leading to performance beyond that of a "standard" car. As far as I can recall the Scaero is equipped with TCS, am I right?

Perhaps something we could compare at the next meet if we get enough of a cross section of TCS and non-TCS 9000's.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
as Saab set the APC (or Trionic ECU) safety cutoff's to more lenient levels. They considered that the TCS would provide additional protection against overboost spiking and detonation as these events tend to occur when engine revs rise very quickly, i.e. when traction is lost[/b]
I should add that this is my interpretation of what he said and I'm not quoting him word for word.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jason,

Yes the Scaero is TCS'd, as are the other 2 2.3CSET and 2.3 carly.

It's only the Aero that pulls big boost.

The carly just make it into the full red (but it only get 95 octane cheapo), and the CSET barely makes it through the broken orange/red section (again on 95 oct).

Andrew.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts