Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I met bill (BillJ) and Scaero (andrew yesterday at Goodwood. I must say I was impressed with Bills car. He had it around the track at around 130 mph, lapping at 1m 56s and it really seemed to handle well. So for would be upgraders you can't go wrong by following his example. He was carrying a camera in the car and I am trying to convince him to put it on the web as a video stream. Lets hope. I hope Bill is'nt annoyed at me for this topic. but I was really impressed that a 11/2 ton car could take on the porches and such like, he even passed a Ferrari 348. well done Bill on a well produced car

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I don't mind at all, gelcoat. It was great to meet you and Andrew, and passing the Ferrari was fun indeed. Pity I didn't meet the 355 on the track. When Mrs. Ferrari (driving the 355) told Andrew about the track days at Snetterton, Mr. Ferrari (driving the 348) told her "We don't want any more f***ing Saabs"

I take your comments on my car as a great compliment from someone who knows what he's talking about. I'm only sorry you couldn't hang around for a ride.

Indeed, the video is very boring unless you're interested in seeing:

<ul type="square">
[*]A couple of yards of track immediately in front of the car
[*]The rear-view mirror
[*]The instrument panel
[/list]
However, that was enough to confirm the lap times. Quickest laps recorded on video were 1:42. The tape ran out in the afternoon just as the tyres were coming to life (or beginning a slow death, depending on how you look at it), which is a pity as I think the fastest laps were around then. I'm told our best time was 93 seconds (1:33
), although I'm going to check that to make sure there was no mistake. That front left tyre certainly looks like it gave its all - on closer inspection this afternoon, parts of it are bordering on illegal, although they won't wear any more for a while because they're not touching the road due to surrounding parts not having worn so much.

We need to show the world that Saab makes serious performance cars

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
P.S. I ought to own up and say that we didn't actually manage 130mph this time round. Strange, since I managed it before with the higher gearing. Perhaps I (and Andrew) still have some learning to do about gear selection...

I'd say we got not much beyond 125 (which is the rev limit in 4th with the new gearing).

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I'd say we got not much beyond 125 (which is the rev limit in 4th with the new gearing).  [/b]
And even then it didn't feel that quick until you needed to slow down.

For me, 4th ran out at the limiter with just too short a distance to get 5th before before needing to STAND ON THE BRAKES!!!

I can imagine the mess I'd have been in changing up, down*2 and braking in 1-1.5 seconds.

Damn good fun though.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero owner:
[qb]Damn good fun though.[/qb][/b]
I'd say that about sums it up.

Gelcoat's post reminded me that it was 1:56 that Chris Darwin mentioned in the morning, so Mike Kavanagh must have come up with the 93 second figure later. I've e-mailed him to ask him to pass on the bad new about the video to the Elise driver, and asked him at what stage he timed the 93-second lap. If it was one of the last sessions, I'll believe it as we were surely lapping faster then than earlier on. If he can pinpoint the last-but-one or the last-but-three session (when you were driving), then I'll hate you forever

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I'm still waiting for confirmation on the 93 sec. I had to ask again because I just can't believe it. However, the way I was screeching the tyres around every single bend on the last session (I'll bet it looked good around Woodcote), and taking Fordwater foot-to-floor at 120mph, I'm sure we were lapping rather faster than the 1:42 I recorded on a few laps earlier on.

I reckon the LSD was well worth the money. I'm sure the lower final drive will be too, once I learn to drive it properly with the lower gearing.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Scaero owner:
[qb]a 93s lap would be about 94mph average
a 103s lap would be about 85mph average [/qb][/b]
I'd done the sums too. Frightening if it turns out to be true...
[/qb][/b][/quote]But would go a long way to explaining the state of your front tyres......

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Bill,
If you were getting the temperature of the tyres into their zone (on an otherwise cold day)it might be possible to get the time down significantly. Look at it this way, you have definatly taken 30+ secs of your initial Nov'02 laps, so why not another 10? (I know, the law of diminishing returns etc..)

I never went around Fordwater much faster than 100, so you'll be gaining large chunks of time around the whole of that section....

I'll try to get along to your meet on the 29th, if at all possible.

Nick.

Nick.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] Wonder what /john's tyres look like after me trying out his new ECU?                  :fawlty:    [/qb][/b]
They're slicks, now [/qb][/b][/quote]

1 - 20 of 46 Posts