Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be the wrong forum but i`ve booked a trackday at Goodwood on Thursday 6th May
and wondered if anybody has any advice on this circuit and or car prep. tire pressure etc for my 9-5 Aero

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I'll move this to the performance forum. Lots of Saabscene members have been to Goodwood and they are more likely to see it there.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
oooh - you're going to enjoy yourself!

For tyre pressure I referred to the website of the manufacturer of my tyres. I normally run them at 32-35psi and upped them to something like 42-45psi, IIRC.

Goodwood is a fantastic circuit - very fast. You should see 120-130mph down Lavant straight. Please be careful at Woodcote (corner before the chicane) as I got out of shape there, twice, during the afternoon session after a light shower at lunch. Woodcote is a "technical corner" according to Autocar magazine.

To get an idea of what to expect, you can view my Saab 9-3 Sport going round the circuit. The first link involves me overtaking a Jag E-type, a Scimitar bi-turbo and a TVR 350i ...all on the same lap

The second video is without cars - so you can see what the track is like.

http://www.saabscene.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimat...opic/26/13.html

http://www.saabscene.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimat...opic/26/12.html

Enjoy yourself - it's fantastic

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Goodwood is a good circuit because it's not too intimidating for first timers but is also technically advanced.

Good points- it's quite kind on tyres and the turn in points are excellently marked. Forgive me this one piece of advice if you have heard it before, but it is very much the golden rule of track driving. Make sure sure have completed your braking and got into the appropriate gear for the corners by the time you reach the turn in cone. This will help you stay composed.

If you do feel you are losing it in a corner under power (St Mary's is a favourite for this, then try not to back off the accelrator too suddenly or you will end up in a massive oversteer situation. There's a few of us learnt that the hard way

Things to be aware of- the double apex of Madgwick, the first corner after the pit straight. Go nice and wide on the way in and resist the temptation to turn out of the first apex too soon.

St Mary's is deceptive- it lulls you in to a false sense of security that you can take a load of speed in to it and then power through. You can't. Get well on the brakes.

Lavant corner in to the straight is the fastest part of the track. Get the power on early out of the corner and drift wide.

Don't go hell for leather on the first lap of any session- build up your braking. After you've seen the chequered flag for the end of your session, try to cruise round at a reasonably quick rate without using the brakes.

When you get back to the paddock, don't stand with your foot on the brake pedal. Also don't use your handbrake- it's levle so it shouldn't be necessary. Let the engine have a couple of minutes cool down as well.

Oh, and by the way, if all this sounds a bit daunting, print it out, give it to your passenger and enjoy...

You can read some further reviews of Goodwood on the Bookatrack website here

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
And here is another short video.

http://www.saabscene.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb....opic/26/15.html

My advice would be to use the sighting laps well, start slow and get to know the track before going for it.

Make sure that your car is fully topped up with fluids, Brake Pads have plenty of pad left (well over half), and put 5 to 10 psi extra in the tyres.

Another corner to watch is the left after the back straight (st Mary's?) it gets slippery, has a dip and does catch people out.

Have fun (you will!)

Andrew

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys thats a great help. I have just carefully checked my tyres and brake pads and I cant see the nearside front lasting the whole day at Goodwood-i`m too rough with the car and always end up understeering. So have bottled out and will have to take the wifes MINI cooper-should be good round the corners but will be overtaken on the straights-still good fun though

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
If I could get away from work then I would come down to spectate alas - not possible.

Have a good time

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shame /john, there`s not that many cars there tomorrow -I booked on Friday and am only number 24 so should be plenty of track time. May be i`1l try get the Aero on for the afternoon session-it`d last that long I guess

Keith

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
/John-having to send reply to private message on forum as your mailbox is full.

You will probably get this message too late as I have only just been able to get online and reply-its 11-45pm Wed. evening.

Trackday is organised by Goldtrack and is about £225 plus tution etc if needed.I have their contact no`s on the day of 07778 475866 or 07831 194976.

I`ll be in a red Mini cooper NH51 CMH-easy to recognise on the track, its the one all the other cars are passing. BTW the video of Goodwood was ace. Should be really useful.

Hope to see you tomorrow.

Keith

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
For those that are interested, there are some more (rather bandwidth hungry
) Goodwood videos available for download here

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had fantastic day at Goodwood last week. I am interested to know how you guys secured video cameras in your cars as on the day the scrutineers were very insistent that these were proper fixed mounts not just the suction type . I believe these can come loose if you roll it
and you have camera acting as missile in your car. Also what sort of lap times were you guys doing and what power to weight ratio do your cars have?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Most of us have "fixed" cameras by putting them on a tripod, then strapping the tripod to the door handles and seat headrests- quite effectively.

Lap times were coming in sub 1:48 for the best ones...

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I knew you would have a great time
sorry I could not make it down there on the day.

I followed MarkE and BillJ's use of a tripod in the rear of the car. Two positioned behind each front seat and the third positioned into the ski-hatch. Then the whole lot was securely lashed down with cords attached under the rear seats. Very stable

When we were at Goodwood in February I noticed a Lotus Elise with a suction mount for a camera. It looked like a professional mount.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tripod things sounds possible next time i`m at Goodwood-the missus and i plan to abuse her Mini again on 11th August with Goldtrack-a bit more expensive than some but I had about 200miles on track that day-fantastic.SWMBO was nearly car sick
Oh! how does 1min 50.4 sound in a bog standard Mini cooper(not the S)
see why I didnt take my Aero estate I `d kill it

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
£225 with Goldtrack
Mind you, Goodwood is expensive with most organisers.

You could spend the same amount by going on this trackday and have a weekend away. Impress the missus

1m50s sounds pretty good to me
I'll try and get down to Goodwood on 11 August

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anglesey is distinctly possible-the circuit looks "interesting" for big Saabs and certainly much cheaper than some trackdays ,and I think SWMBO will be working ,this may be opportunity for boys weekend away

·
Registered
11,343 Posts

Certainly is interesting for the Saabs - quicker than Vicky Butler-Henderson in an Audi TT

To see what it is like from a Saab cockpit, take a look at this video - I assure you that you will come away from the day with a perma-grin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts