Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Goodridge braided brake hoses fitted to my Aero for some time now, and like the solid pedal feel. However, MOT time is coming up next month and I have heard that some testers will fail these. Then again, I had a friend tell me that he had them passed a few years ago by a garage that had a reputation for being sticklers for the rules (I'd go there, but it's a couple of hundred miles away).

Has anyone got any first-hand experience of presenting these hoses to an MOT tester? How did it go?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, sgould.

Leon, is sgould telling me you're an MOT tester? If so, let me know where you are and I'll book it in next month. Of course I'm happy to fix a legitimate failure, but I don't want the hassle of taking the hoses off just because they "look a bit odd".

Can you give me an example of an "insecure" hose? Otherwise, I think the hoses meet the criteria.

I think I would be changing them shortly anyway. Ed Abbott (of Abbott Racing) told me that these hoses should really bew changed every year on a road car, but I'd want to change them for new hoses of the same type so my dilemma persists.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I can shed some light on this...

Safety rules preclude you from making up your brake hoses from a kit- you can buy all the bits from Goodridge to make them, but they will not pass an MOT. Pre-made hoses, however are fine- I think they may have some sort of recognised stamp on them.

I've never heard any comment though about needing to change them every year- not even on the Goodridge web site!! and of aall people you would have thought they would want to push the sales...

Mark

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Leon, is sgould telling me you're an MOT tester?[/b]
That's right.... I'll send you a private message...

Can you give me an example of an "insecure" hose? Otherwise, I think the hoses meet the criteria.[/b]
One thats insecure....
The hose itself shouldn't in theory be insecure!, but the metal pipe it attaches to could be...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
For optimum performance, brake hoses should not be replaced every year, bur rather every five years, AFAIK. After that, the 'ballooning' under pressure tends to increase quickly. But of course, no one bothers because it's not in the service manual, and MOT testers - at least over here in the Netherlands - will only fail them if there are age cracks in the rubber (at which time they are well past their prime) - same with shocks of course: if they're not visibly leaking, they're OK as far as MOT is concerned.

Anyways, one reason I had Goodridge hoses fitted was that then'I'd never have to worry about them needing replacement anymore. But otherwise, I'd say they're the best money I've spent on Saabine's braking system (yes, the 9000 brake system retrofit, the Trent Saab discs and pads made a huge improvement, but then again it was a four figure bill even in £). Pedal feel became a lot firmer, and it's easier to modulate your braking.

Happy Saabing,
Eric

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys.

Mark E, I don't remember the specifics, but Ed Abbott did say they should be changed regularly. He also said that they are more prone to damage from the sort of things Joe Public tend to do like dangling the calipers from them while changing the pads (ignoring warnings of the danger). I don't do this, of course, even with rubber hoses. Perhaps Goodridge wouldn't sell as many hoses if people thought they would only last a year.

Leon, I got your message, thanks. I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
208 Posts
fwiw the leaflet that came with the goodridge hoses I put on my lotus stated that they were only road legal if the packaging was CE marked. ie. it implied that some of the hoses they sold were legal whereas others were not.......

There is also one problem with braided hoses- you should not use a hose clamp on them which makes it more messy changing brake calipers etc. Another problem is that any internal damage is much more difficult to see as it will be hidden by the braiding- I suspect this is the main reason they are not liked on road cars (apart from cost!).

Personally, after changing all my hoses (for saab rubber ones) and replacing a partially siezed caliper I reckon the Saab doesn't need braided hoses. I find the brakes are very good without and I prefer the convienience of the rubber ones. But then I don't take the Saab on a track so the brakes have a relatively easy time compared to the lotus

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.