Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick post to say how impressed I am sith these.
Replaced my 40k mile Goodyear Eagle NCT5s on the Aero (still a bit of life left in them)

Comparison:
1) F1s stick much better in the dry
2) They dont squeel
3) They are stupidly better in the wet
4) Quieter
5) Much less 'crack' over bumps and cat eyes
the F1s stick soooo well -
I realise the NCT5s were older but these F1s are in a different league...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have gone back to F1's after toyo proxes t1r's

the toyos were good and have a very sharp turn in... maybe the sidewall is a good bit stiffer
the goodyears are very much more comfy and the grip is higher but the steering feels quite wooley now ...
so everything is a compromise I guess...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually - that's true. The steering is no sharper than with the NCT5s - Maybe even marginally less sharp.
I used to have Bridgestone PP S02s on another car - they had very hard walls and were sharp but harsh.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just a thought.

Do you use the F1s with XL on yor 9000 aeros? I have the F1s on my 9-5 aero and have found the steering to be an improvement over the original Michelins. I wondered if the XL version has a stiffer side wall than the standard tyre?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I went from bridgestone S03's to the goodyear F1's,they dont seem to be to much of a compromise in performance to the SO3's,but better comfort.The bridgestones wear ferociously,to early to say on the F1's.You can get the F1's at web page when fitted at and balanced they should be around £70 a tyre

·
Registered
753 Posts
Just thought I would add a similar comment but regarding the Bridgestone S03 tyres.

For the Goodwood trackday I had these on my Aero, with about 1500 miles of mainly motorway use on them.

The grip in the wet really was amazing. So much better than the Michelin Pilots that I had before as standard for on the Aero.

I seemed to be getting traction in the corners when many others were struggling and the handling was nicely predictable with very few "exciting" moments...

I can't comment on wear due to the few miles I have done, and it isn't really a factor I consider. Ride quality seems fine, I don't think it is any harsher than before.

I would certainly recommend them highly....

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I've never had Goodyears.. so can't comment. But as to Bridgestones in the wet.... I've VERY glad that I changed to 16s with a set of S03s on them for the trackday. I got incredible grip in the torrential rain and the rear-end was firmly planted through St Marys,even with the bigger rear Anti-Roll bar on it this time.

Top Marks to Bridgestone. My new chariot has Bridgestone Potenza RE050 on it... so it will be interesting to see how they perform!

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I've had XL F1s on the Barge for about 25K miles now and they are superb. Steering is a bit heavier than the Contis Sport contacts I had before, so could feel a bit "woolly" in comparison, but actually steering precision is at least as good once you get used to it. Ride & handling, especially in the wet, is superb. Front pair of 4 bought did ~18K miles (my car EATS front tyres) and rears are still there after 25K, but due to uneven wear will have to go earlier than expected. Second front pair still on 5mm+ after 7K miles

Downsides are REALLY [expletive deleted] performance in snow (like zero traction) and the rear pair have worn unevenly (thruppeny bit pattern).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts