Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since getting my 9-3 2005 convertible the roof has bee a major source of headaches (no surprise). When opening or closing the roof I would continually get "manual operation only" messages. This meant letting go of the button and then trying again. The roof would continue to move to the next stage when the message would appear again, and I'd flick the button again.

I was also getting messages when driving the car that the roof needed to be fully closed or fully opened. The air con display also alternated between AC mode and non-AC mode - essentially roof up and roof down mode.

The solution for anyone else in this situation is to replace the tonneau sensor. This can be found on the right hand side of the roof area with the tonneau cover open (the hard "wing" that slides back and forth. You'll find two hydraulic cylinders on the right. The one nearest the back has a sensor under the hydraulic line. In my case it was this sensor which was at fault.

It was a bit of a swine to take apart and I ended up mashing the old sensor just to get it off. I purchased a replacement sensor from eBay (str motors in Bristol) and although it came with two cylinders it was relatively easy to carefully prise the sensor off the replacement cylinder and fit it onto the cylinder on my car.

One tip though, which I recommend you follow, as I didn't even though I watched this video which was very helpful:
is to make sure that if you remove the hydraulic line to get the sensor into place, make sure you dig out the old o-ring (mine broke into two) and ensure that there is a fresh o-ring on the end of the hydraulic line (as Ted shows in the video). I skipped this and managed to spray hydraulic fluid all over the inside of the car when testing!

The result is that the roof now goes up and down successfully, with no beeps, no errors, no warnings and the AC unit now switches to roof open / roof closed mode correctly.

I hope this little write-up is useful for someone else out there who is having problems with their roof.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For clarity, the sensor I changed is on the other hydraulic cylinder (nearer the car body). It pushes the hard tonneau cover towards the back off the car. Ted is working on the 6th bow one which moves the back window section.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts