Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will their 308mm 4 pot brakes fit 16" Aero wheels, I wonder? These are the same size disks as one of the Abbott kits that is designed to fit this wheel size.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Possibly......it's the caliper size/shape that causes the clearance problems, especially with 4-pot calipers. The Abbott kit uses the 2-pot calipers from the 9-5 Aero to achieve the clearance...just...on the 16" Aero wheels.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
The problem with the Super Aero wheels is that the spokes tuck-in to the rim, to give a deep dish. This obviously reduces caliper clearance considerably as there is little room "inside" the wheel. Ideally any big-brake upgrade stipulates that you have a wheel with a fronted design that leaves plenty of space inside the rim width.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Godspeed standard kits (which use either Volvo or Princess 4 pots) won't fit due to the thickness of the caliper.

There is a chance that Wilwood calipers may fit as some of these are much less bulky, though considerably more expensive.

The c900 has a much better chance of fitting 4 pots behind the standard wheel as the disk can be moved inboard a good 20mm with the appropiate bell, the 9000 doesn't have this clearance between the back of the disk and the bottom ball joint.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmm, perhaps I might have to move away from standard wheels in the future. Shame as the sleeper look starts to fade!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
That's the reason I've bought some 17" wheels, which I'll be fitting if my Aero ever stays on the road long enough to wear out the existing 16" tyres

I know these particular wheels will accommodate the AP brakes. I like the "sleeper" look too, and thought long and hard about the 17" wheels. I also thought about the 9-5 Aero wheels with Speedparts adapters, but I couldn't afford them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
When Bill has burned his 16" rubber I think I might Know someone who is interested in the 16" wheels

Alyn

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Al:
[qb]When Bill has burned his 16" rubber I think I might Know someone who is interested in the 16" wheels   [/qb][/b]
Sorry to disappoint, chaps, but it's not only me who's waiting for the tyres to wear out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Bill can You at least show me a pic. of the 17 inches yuo purchased. Maybe it will give me some ideas on what to go for on mine.
Or are those pics on the same card as my car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts