Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just ordered a 325 mm conversion from godspeed
in nice gold metallic
four pot calipers (stainless.. could not afford the alloy option)goodrich hoses mintex 1144 pads and all the bits and pieces all for less than a monkey and a half

bargain
can't wait to fit them
delivery in a week to 10 days !!
btw he has done a couple of local lad's SAABs already so fitting them should be no problem

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Yes, as I am, but unfortunatly the disc face to inside of spoke distance is obviously lacking with my Azev 'A' wheels

It was the first thing Godspeed got me to check and four-pots just won't fit behind them.

Unless someone out there knows better? I'd love to think there is a way of achieving the conversion.

Nick.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yes, as I am, but unfortunatly the disc face to inside of spoke distance is obviously lacking with my Azev 'A' wheels  [/b]
Remember the chap at Goodwood with the Green, heavily modified 9000SE 2.3T? He had Avez A wheels, but had fitted wheel spacers to accommodate 6-pot calipers and widen the front track. He'd also flared the arches to cover the wheels and to aid brake cooling. A pretty extreme (and expensive) way of doing things, but at least he got to keep his Avez A's. Probably the best looking 5-spoke wheel on the market imho.

The 9000 always looks better with dish rims imho, that said, I may sacrifice some aesthetic beauty in order to make my car a bit more "scaleable". Having been in Bubbles I can see the massive benefit of the AP brakes is worth it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I assume that these conversions are for the front brakes only. What happens if you want to stop quickly whilst in reverse?

Seriously, I wonder if the 308mm set will fit 16" Super Aero's. They are a fair bit cheaper than the grand that Abbott charge. I am keen to retain my original alloys, but boy, sometimes I could do with better stopping power!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
intrestingly enough he did not get me to check
however the alessio wheels I have at the moment are 7.5 wide and it looks as if there is plenty front to back clearance (if you know what I mean )

·
Registered
613 Posts
ylee, can you post a link to some info on the godspeed brakes? I've always wanted bigger discs and 4-pots for my 9-3! And I imagine with my 17" BBS RK rims and 8" wide tires that I can fit them......I hope? Thanks!

Nick

·
Registered
82 Posts
One of my friends is one of the 2 local Saab owners who have had the 325mm kit fitted, and I have to say it was a major hassle to get the brakes to fit on the 9000.

The 900 is easy, there is massive clearance between the lower balljoint and the back of the disk so that brake bell can be dished allowing the brake to be offset inwards giving the clearance.

On the 9000 there isn't anywhere near as much space (approx 5mm compared to over 20mm on the 900). Also due to the Mac strut arrangement the disk doesn't maintain its distance from the ball joint when lock is applied, it gets closer. Thinner disks had to be used 28.4 not 30, the bell thickened slightly to space the wheel out, and the outside of the caliper shaved to clear the back of the spokes.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Just following on from Nicks' comments...

I've got AP 330mmm behind 17" wheels without any problems- but that's because they are very flat faced and have tons of clearance behind them- see below...

It's not just the diameter of the wheel that's important, but the profile. The standard single pot calipers used have the caliper on the inboard side, and thus have a very shallow profile on the outboard side which facilitates the fitting of the Aero style dished wheels. There's actually a large amount of diametric clearnace left with standard calipers and wheels, but it's very tight against the side of the caliper. As 4 potters "add" outboard calipers, they are going to be significantly wider and it is this coupled with the dish profile of the Aero wheel, rather than the diameter of bigger discs, that causes the problem.

Oh, and I don't think the widening of the arches on the green 9000 had anything to do with brake cooling... if the mesh was anything other than cosmetic, I'd have said it's most likely use was to get more heat out of the engine compartment. If you want to improve brake cooling, you normally have to duct air to the centre of the hub.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If im not mistaken that green 9000 had the arches pulled out at the bottom where they meet the sill and obviously a spacer plate made up to keep them in this locatiion.
They weren't therefore fabricated in any way - just a bit of ingenuity

Pete.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by tandino(266bhp T16S):
[qb]If im not mistaken that green 9000 had the arches pulled out at the bottom where they meet the sill and obviously a spacer plate made up to keep them in this locatiion.
They weren't therefore fabricated in any way - just a bit of ingenuity    

Pete. [/qb][/b]
Yep, thats what I said earlier. I always suspected that people skip my posts when speed reading a technical thread.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque-Steer):
[qb]In that case your reading the wrong thread.    

Group N Brakes [/qb][/b]
How come? I am asking whether the smaller conversion will fit? I would sooner change to better calipers and disks as per the Abbott setup, but save money in the process.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Jez, I think Jason is referring to your comment, 'I am keen to retain my original alloys, but boy, sometimes I could do with better stopping power!'.

Are these 'Grey Iron' discs a lot better than standard discs? If so why, and what are the drawbacks? (Every upside has its' downside)
Do they require certain pads to go with them for best performance or can any pad be used with a greater effect than with standard discs?

I would be quite interested as my fronts are in need of renewing due to a slight vibration decellerating down through 50 mph.

Nick.

·
Registered
403 Posts
cdcarlsson ,

Grey Iron disc's can take much higher temps than standard disc's, they don't tend to warp as mush and last longer on the track.
Most OEM and Aftermarket boy racer stuff are made from re-constituted metals from old disc's and as such are a lot less stable.

Grey iron does come in many forms tho (I can't ascertain what grade these brembo's are) but the stuff used on real group A stuff is N17 iron.

As for pads - the general opinion throughout the all sites/groups are that the Ferodo DS2500 are the K9's dangleys

Mine set of brembo's and DS2500's are on their way to me now - yipeee

Damo

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
been informed these will be here next week
....something for the weekend sir....
I will post picture if I can work out how
also might fit the poly bushes if I have time

1 - 20 of 67 Posts