Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking into a GM900. I am thinking about selling my car and getting something different.

My first step will be suspension. Im looking for, but have not found, some sort of coilover setup. H&R and B&G have been my two top choices as far as VW tuning; unfortunately they dont build coilovers for Saab... does any company out there build coilovers for Saab? Im also curious about sway-bars - desired diameters, front vs rear, and so fourth.

Thanks alot,

Travis

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Eibach springs are a popular choice and Bilstein or Konig dampers but there are other combinations. Eibach springs will drop the car about 32mm. I am currently using Eibach springs with Sachs OE dampers which when new are ok but probably get a bit bouncy with age.

Mike

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Originally posted by vr6nh:
[qb]So I am looking into a GM900.  I am thinking about selling my car and getting something different.  

My first step will be suspension.  Im looking for, but have not found, some sort of coilover setup.  H&R and B&G have been my two top choices as far as VW tuning; unfortunately they dont build coilovers for Saab... does any company out there build coilovers for Saab?  Im also curious about sway-bars - desired diameters, front vs rear, and so fourth.  

Thanks alot,

Travis [/qb][/b]
H&R do great springs for the 900 / 9-3. A lot of us, as mentioned, use Eibach springs which have proved to be excellent quality.

As regards dampers, I'm a bit of a Koni fan. I love the fact that at any moment, I can adjust the damping of the insert. I've had 'yellow sport' adjustable Koni dampers with Eibach springs fitted to my 9-3 almost since new.. now I've done more than 70K miles with absolutely no quality problems.

I've got Konis on my current classic 900, had them on my previous 911, Subaru WRX, Previous Saab 900 turbo, Previous Saab 9000 Turbo and Audi RS2 - all of them with no problems.

As regards Sway Bars... the SAS rear anti-roll bar from Elksport or from Nick Taliaferro at www.genuinesaab.com is a good bet. I really like this upgrade on my 9-3.

There is also now a new turret strut brace for the 9-3 listed which might be worth a look in.

Any strenthening or stiffening measures that can be done to the body shell or suspension hard points are worth doing to the 9-3/900 because it's not the most stiff car on the planet from a chassis perspective.

Another modification I've found value in, is the Abbott Racing Motorsport Viggen Rescue Kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Travis,

Welcome to the boards. I'm originally from NH also.

What year are you planning to get? Suspension changes from 95 - 96. You would be better to get a '98 if possible for the hyrdaulic clutch, 97 starts for bigger brakes, and '96 begins the front suspension overhaul which is a big improvement.

The best options for springs and shocks are debated. See ERP's profile and weblink to see his page (moderator of the GM900 Board). Genuine SAAB aka Talaiferro is a great resource too.

I chose stock ride height on SE springs with reduced bump stops, B&G dampers up front and CHEAP KYBs out back. I've had to replace control arms and bushing in the last 10k, they are polyeurathane and tightening the steering precisely. I'm 12000 miles in and it feels tight. I'd love to go to a lower ride height, but living in Montreal/NH means too much snow for my tastes... I love my Nokian Snows.

Good luck with the purchase, don't buy a lemon... I shopped in NH for almost 8 months before I found my current '97 900t and I saw a lot of really low quality SAAB's that were shameful! NH is the bumper market for Boston-area rejects! Karbucks, an Ebay seller in exeter NH is particulary dispeciable! If you get a good SAAB you find it more rewarding than the VW!

Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts