Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been recommended to me to get a downpipe to shorten spool up times and get more top end power in my gm900 se turbo.

I have a saab cat back performance exhaust. If I get a downpipe, is bigger better? 3-inch? Will I be able to use the stock cat? SHOULD I use the stock cat, or is it a bottle neck in the system? What brand downpipe is recommended?

Thanks for all the info. I'm new to the saab scene, but have played with cars for a long time -just not turbo cars, so it'll take a bit of time for me to figure this all out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I am not sure on the other brands available out there but I can tell you what I did with my 1999 9-3. I too, started with the Saab cat-back exhaust. I went with the BSR 3" downpipe with a race cat. If you go the BSR route, they offer a sport cat and the race cat. Your factory cat cannot be used with their downpipes, and anyways, to answer one of your questions, yes, the stock cat is pretty restrictive and there will be benefit of going to a sport or race type cat. Also, I chose the BSR pipe as it has the same clamshell clamps as the stock system and therefore the Saab cat-back system. Also, the BSR is stainless steel so it matches the Saab system well and after 3 hard years on the car, it still looks pretty good. Also, bigger is definitely better for any exhaust part on a turbocharged car, and the typical aftermarket downpipe available for our cars is indeed 3".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on both the mbc and the downpipe Eric. Is there a preferred brand of mbc among Saab performance people? Where's a good place to shop for a downpipe?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I know many people have chosen the Dawes Device. Reaso being is that it is a check valve type that reacts quicker than the bleeder types. I am not sure of their website but a search for Dawes Device or Dawes manual boost controller should find it. I am not sure if the more expensive version is worth it. Read their site and make your own decision.

For the downpipe, there are many places that you can order them. Personally, I ordered my BSR pipe through Engstrom in Chicago. Do a search for Engstrom Motorsports or something like that to find him.

Good luck and have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts