Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was taken from the other saab buletin board, but I found the link so intriguing, I felt I should post it here. Notice that the report - Quaifed MU3's from GM - says they'll be 'Quaife-style' lsd's.......hmmmm? I wonder if the F35 that's used in a Saturn or Fiat can be used on a B234 with the proper transmission mount, etc.?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Interesting, about time the 9-5 Aero got an LSD (with or without all the TCS/ESP rubbish I wonder?). Pity you can't fit one to an auto....
I suppose the journos that don't know how to drive a car with an LSD will be slagging it off even more now, in the same way they did the Focus RS which had the same diff fitted......

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Anyone know if this is what's fitted to the Alfa 156 & 147 GTA - I'm sure they have an LSD or have I been taking it?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]Rover used the Torsen diff.  I thought that Audi used it as well on some models. [/qb][/b]
Yup, Torsen i.e TORque SENsing.

To enhance traction for high-output applications a Quaife-style torque-sensing differential is incorporated into the final drive of the MU3[/b]
Audi's Quattro and the popular aftermarket Quaife systems use a set of worm gears inside the differential in place of the spider gears, which bind up when there's a resistive torque imbalance. That means, as long as both sides show equal resistance then they are free to rotate at different speeds, such as when going around a turn.    
The whole thing is called a "Torsen" system as in "Torque Sensing" (Torsen is actually a Quaife trademark, and the more generic term is Torque Biasing Differential or TBD) because it instantly reacts to torque imbalance transferring power to the wheels that can use it most.[/b]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Originally posted by Søren Hviid:
[qb]Sounds like the Quaife/Torsen works the same way as the Fantom Grip?

http://www.phantomgrip.com/  [/qb][/b]
No, that's a cut-price version of a clutch-type LSD, exerting pressure on the insides of the OE spider gears. Seems to work well as long as the spider gears are tough enough otherwise it will wear them out and put metal shavings in the gearbox oil which in turn leads to gearbox damage in the log(ish) run. Saabs seem to have pretty durable spider gears, and Honda's not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I KNOW ABBOTTS
ARE USE THE QUAIFE DIFF BUT DOES ANYONE HAVE OR NO OF A STRONGER TRANSMISSON IE GEARBOX.
MAYBE STARIGHT CUT 1ST 2ND 3RD BUT NORMAL 4TH & 5TH FOR THE MOTORWAY THIS IS FOR GM900 & 93.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts