Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
John I'm surprised that his and your autobox went at similar mileages as I thought the Aisin Warner autoboxes had a reputation for being very solid. Maybe Charybdis's car didn't get the auto fluid change at the prescribed Saab 66k service? (I'm sure yours did)
Cheers
Al[/b]

I'm not 100% sure whether the previous owner had the autobox fluid oil change at 66k or not but I think it had - but if there's a rogue rotten apple of a gearbox around, you can bet it'll be on my car !

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi

It's a shame you had to scrap the car but you've got a nicer one now! Love the Talladega's subtle syling.

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Hi Al

To be fair, I have been putting 270bhp through my gbox (car was 200bhp standard) so I can not really complain that the transmission went on a modified car. Yes, it had the prescribed fluid change - but there is a lot of torque going through, too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi

It's a shame you had to scrap the car but you've got a nicer one now! Love the Talladega's subtle syling.

Cheers
Al[/b]
More bad luck - the Talledega has been in the garage for 3 weeks(a "Check engine light" fault a SAAB main dealer has been foxed by) and I've had to soldier on with the old car a while longer. A chance of getting it back for the weekend..if I'm lucky, which I doubt I am ! :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
900GM MY97 2.0T SE Sensonic

Still going strong at 126,000 miles

Prior to my purchase - Demo Car at Saab Dealer then 1 previous owner

Cost to me May 2002 - £6900 with 61,000 miles recorded

Expenditure

65677 miles Service Saab Turners Hill £367

82307 miles Service Saab Turners Hill £222

91924 miles Service Saab Turners Hill £370

98119 Miles Clutch replaced full set of back & Front Discs and pads 4 tires / service £1574 - South East Saab

114840 Miles two services plus alternator and mirror assembly replacement £1014 - South East Saab

122886 Miles Service + exhaust leak fix £404 - South East Saab

So I make the running costs in servicing to be £3951 for 65,000 miles or about 6 p per mile

In terms of main dealer - I'd not use anybody other than the great team at Turners Hill

and in terms of Independents reckon that Rowan at South East Saab in Tunbridge Wells is a good guy to deal with

B_Cal

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just sold my old '94 900 with 370000 kms on it. Best car I ever had, hands down !
Bought it 7 years ago with 230000 kms on the meter, with no major repairs done to it so far when I bought it from the original owner.

I have only changed the oil and filter every 15000 kms, and I replaced the brake discs and pads directly after I bought it.
Apart from that, I have only been driving it, often heavily loaded, and often hauling a big trailer behind it.

The only trouble I have had has been:

- Replaced fuel pump (At approx 270000 kms)
- Replaced one ruber bushing in the front suspension ( 300000 kms)
- Replaced outer left driveaxle joint (350000 kms)
- Replaced head gasket (360000 kms) due to heavy oil sweating. But the cylinders and pistons vere virtually like new... !
- The clutch release bearing was about to give up when I sold it, but it still drove pretty much like a new car. I guess with a new clutch, it will run pretty trouble free for another 100000 kms....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my NG900 SE Turbo on 94,800 miles in January. It's now on 102k miles and it's never missed a beat. I did have a battery die, but it was a cheap factors one, two sizes too small and I had no idea how old it was.
I've only just looked at the spark plugs which were .5mm too big in the gap which hasn't affected the running somehow!
AFAIK everything on the engine is orginal down to the ignition pack, water pump etc. Just as I'd expect really.
I might replace the lambda and engine temperature sensors just to ensure she's running tip top but it's so smooth and strong I can't believe there's much if anything woring with it. No oil or water top ups at all.

Alright not a mega amont of time/ mileage, but it's still a ten year old car. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently had the good fortune to acquire a 1997 Saab 900 SE Turbo 5-Door with 156,900 miles.

The vehicle runs like a tank.

The previous owner said that he bought the vehicle with roughly 130,000 miles and has encountered no problems with it since.

glitchiegoomie, Triforce Hunter

·
Registered
13 Posts
900 xs ,though badged SE (same as above - i thought it was just mine)

Anyway
96 2.0i SE 77K miles , family owned for 6 years
Just driven to the French Alps and back (1,200 miles) with a full roof box of skis & boards (kitchen sink etc).
Averaged 31.5 mpg doing the top end of the speed limits and climbing the hairpins up to 2100m.
Had the car in the snow at -25C to best -10C for a month and it started first turn of the key every time i dug the car out of the snow (every week), not the same for most of the cars i saw having to be jumped or dragged to the garage
She did drip a bit of coolant whilst she was dumped in the snow but she didnt lose any on the way there and back and seems fine now - altitude sickness ?.

Drove very well in the snow but you would expect that from a Swedish car.

Apart from a failed thermostat (diagnosed by the guys on the forums here), heater knobs broke and a rear exhaust box being replaced we like our old Saab.[/b]
Hello all
Havent been on here for a few years and stumbled like you do onto the old site.

Well we still have the old SAAB - just under 130K miles now and just walked its MOT again. Ok it had to have a small weld on the exhaust back box to save buying a new one and but that was it.

Weve replaced the boot struts, tyres like normal, the electric aerial plastic feed, the dreaded lower front fog light bulb (all major stuff :) ) - the only 'major' thing was the clutch cable snapping in the summer - outside the house luckily.

Thought it was dead last christmas when we had steam coming out of the bonnet when stuck in a traffic jam but just turned out to be a small hole in the rad pipe, released the pressure on the rad topup and drove all the way home from Kent - quick visit to SAAB for the part and fixed.

She still looks good when i bother to wash-n-polish her, still behaves well and was a treat in the snow we actually got down here in the south, she is garaged every night which helps reliability i guess. Still getting over 35 mpg when i drive properly.

Cheers

PS the cassette player still works & makes people laugh when i give them a lift. lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Saab 900 se Turbo 96 97 not sure. But kinda funny story.

I got it from a mecanic 3 mybe 4 years ago for $2,500. Was doing Minor repairs like Vacumm leak and Spark plugs replaced. It sounded better and ran better. Then I get to a stop sign and was rear ended by a Van. :(. Well taken to a Autorepair shop and they said it was totaled it bent the Frame.

Well my Parents was buying dodge intrepid from a mechanic. The same Mecanic I got my Saab from. There sit a 2002 Saab 9-3 Convertable same price as the Saab I payed for 4 years ago. With a Viggen Motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just bought a 1994 NG900 SE convertible with 102500 miles. It is the 2.3 non-turbo automatic.

Jobs done...

I have had to replace the exhaust from the mid-pipe back and new front pads for the MOT. I knew about these faults as I bought it "spares or repair" through e-Bay.

Oil & filter, also used engine flush prior to.

Air filter.

Jobs to do. (In no particular order)

Change the fluid in the auto box

Replace ACC unit. It works fine, but some pixels are messed up.

Replace the serpentine belt, just in case.

Replace rear pads and discs. Pads are not too bad but the discs are pitted.

Replace the pollen filter.

Replace a couple of suspect brake pipes.

Obtain a code for the radio.

Fit a steering rack brace.

Recharge the AC, check for leaks.

Overall the car is in good shape for one that is almost 20 yeaqrs old. There is very little corrosion, especially as she has lived most of het life near the coast in salt air.

I have owned several Saabs in the past, starting with a 99 when I lived in New York some years ago. I am not worried about faults and repairs as I was a Saab factory trained mechanic back in a previous life.

I have one question, has any one managed to fit a 8 valve complete unit into a GM 900?

61 - 71 of 71 Posts