Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Congratulations

The best upgrades for a GM900 are lowering springs and good dampers. Because the stock suspension isn't the best Saab has ever made, the improvement is very noticable.

A far less expensive modification that will improve handling, is fitting a stiffer rear anti rollbar. Bodyroll and understeer will be reduced. I was surprised to notice a sharper turn fitting the bar. A very recommended part.

On a normally aspirated car it's hard to get more power without extensive and expensive modifications. Nick Taliaferro sells a modified air intake for the 2,3 though.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Headers could also be custom made for it, and a number of companies might possibly already sell them. (Worth a call to Abbott or SpeedParts to see if any exist.) And of course a different muffling section could provide a small increase in power and drivability.

Also, while torque steer under accelleration shouldn't be a problem with the non-turbo, under braking the exact same thing can happen with the GM900/9-3 chassis. So the Viggen Rescue Kit, or the MP Subframe brace and steering clamp might be worth considering if one wants to seriously track any GM900/9-3, turbo or not.

The affect that accelleration has on the steering works both ways. Non-turbos may not have as much torque, but when braking they're equal to the turbos, and the same amount of (or considerably more) force is imparted on the wheels, just in the opposite direction compared to when accellerating.

My car gets downright squirly when braking because of that chassis' strange suspension goemetry. I reckon a good steering clamp, and subframe brace would probably give it a much better feel.

Power wise though ... there are a few people who've done the non-turbo conversion to turbocharging. Relatively simple compared to most other cars. The only internal swap is to the existing turbo pistons from a 900 turbo. Otherwise, just the ECU, parts of the wiring harness, the turbo/intercooler/piping/etc, and the DI rack. (might have missed a thing or two) Sounds like a lot, but it's easier to do with a non-turbo Saab than say, a non-turbo Honda.

Anyhow ... if nothing else you can mod the heck outta the suspension and brakes. You'll be faster on a tight track than many of the turbos, and you won't have any turbo lag.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it sound like I will not get a lot of speed tickets in the future!!!!!!!!

I was looking at the Eiback Prokit, but from what I can see its only for the 93?? Isnt it the same???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]Power wise though ... there are a few people who've done the non-turbo conversion to turbocharging.  Relatively simple compared to most other cars.  The only internal swap is to the existing turbo pistons from a 900 turbo.  Otherwise, just the ECU, parts of the wiring harness, the turbo/intercooler/piping/etc, and the DI rack.  (might have missed a thing or two)  Sounds like a lot, but it's easier to do with a non-turbo Saab than say, a non-turbo Honda.  

Dubbya~ [/qb][/b]
I am also thinking of rebuilding my saab 900 2.3 to an turbo engine. Do you know people who have done this conversion, i'd like to know what difficulties they have experienced. The most important part (off coarse) is the elecktrical part.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, nice upgrade!

But what if I would like to keep that lovely low end power! Just a thought, I know it VERY sinnfull, but what if I could get hold of a MB supercharger???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts