Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are best bits to change on these beasts then, surely its quick enough as it is...

Its just (30/9/03 @ 124250K miles) had a service at the main dealers in Harrogate, I'm sure I have read about upgrading certain parts form a longevity viewpoint, if it should increase the performance a wee bit then great
, any help would be appreciated, ta.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the brakes?? All mine have been replaced in the last 25K, the fronts were done less thn 1K ago. Poly bushes, fair enough, all of them?? Konis etc?, I am more than happy to keep the original springs, are there any other dampers that are recommended such as bilsteins??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
547 Posts
I got Abbott ARB and wishbone poly bushes and haven't looked back (except to look at the various cars I've just passed). I've heard that if you get the engine mounts and gearbox done then you get a lot of vibration.

I also got the Abbott 308mm Brake Kit which is very useful especially if you intend getting any power upgrades in the future.

Abbott put on Koni dampers on mine with their lowered stiffer springs. The advantage of Konis is that you can adjust them to compromise between ride and handling.

As with every post in which I mention Abbott, I recommend checking around as, while I heartily recommend their abilities, knowledge and service and I'll continue to use them, their prices tend to reflect this also.

From a longevity point of view a Stainless steel exhaust might be an idea. There are various models around, a lot of which help the performance. Note that a stainless steel exhaust will tend to be noisier than mild steel. (A lovely burble at idle and full throated roar at full chat on my Abbott one).

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by mowgli:
[qb]What about the brakes??  All mine have been replaced in the last 25K, the fronts were done less thn 1K ago.  Poly bushes, fair enough, all of them??  Konis etc?, I am more than happy to keep the original springs, are there any other dampers that are recommended such as bilsteins??

Thanks in advance [/qb][/b]
If your suspension is in good condition at the moment, to start with I'd recommend fitting Abbott front wishbones bushes, poly anti-roll bar bushes, and change the exhaust for a JT 3" downpipe, system and sport cat, high flow airfilter and maybe high flow intercooler.

After that, start looking at Konis+Abbott springs or the Bilstein Sprintline shock+spring kit.
After that, ECU from Maptun and bigger brakes, LSD, 17" wheels etc.,etc.,etc.....

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Originally posted by mowgli:
[qb]What about the brakes??  All mine have been replaced in the last 25K, the fronts were done less thn 1K ago.  [/qb][/b]
Perhaps you are lucky! The 9000 brakes are not the best, and most people upgrade them as a matter of urgency. Perhaps you have uprated parts already. There are plenty of posts on this board, but the concensus seems to be either Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500 pads with good quality discs, eg Brembo's best. All the part numbers are here if you do a little search.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts