Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parent's late J plate CS Eco has lost 5th gear - no warning / whining (suspect it's not the pinion on that basis).

Edit, it's actually a CS LPT given it's age, but it's a 2.0 lpt anyway.

It checked out whilst cruising in 5th, just lost drive, all other gears work fine still!

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
possibly the splines on the inside of the 5th gear cog, these tend to wear and eventually let go.

If it is, and the shaft hasn't been damagaed, this can be replaced with the gearbox still in the car.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
My '87 2.0T just started jumping out of 5th gear one day at around 195K miles. From then on it wouldn't stay in 5th and jumped out at even the slightest touch of the accelerator.
I'm told it was the selector hub, but I didn't bother getting it fixed. The symptom to look for, apparently, is that the gear lever "kicks back" in a particular gear (5th in my case) when you touch the accelerator. When the hub is worn enough, it will kick right out of gear. I did notice this symptom when I bought the car at 168K miles, but didn't realise its significance.

Hope it's the 5th gear splines, becuse the selector hub replacement is a gearbox-out job.

·
Registered
378 Posts
talking tomy local fix it about a whine I have on the Carly and said I thought it might be the diff as the sound reminded me of the old rear driven diff noise. he said as a replacement s/h box could be had for £150 it wasn't worth the hassle of an overall. That is if my assumption is correct.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Andrew (wrighar):
[qb]The 5th gear selector forks and gubins can be changed with the gearbox in no probs.[/qb][/b]
Selector hub too? Bu66er!

Oh, well - 5 years too late...

Thanks, Andrew. I'll definitely bear that in mind for the future. Wish I had that old car back again with what I've learned about them since then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.