Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has now been off the road for 8 weeks, waiting for a manual Gearbox.

I have a 1991 CSE 2.3 FPT, with a Long type box.

Not one supplier has a used gear box, although all can sell me a new gearbox at £1400, more then the car is worth.

Can anyone help, I am getting to the point, were I might just sell the car as stands with no box, obviously at a loss.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Rebuld the one you have.

It's most likely just one of the internal hubs and £70 + vat.

Do the bearings at the same time (another £70) and you'll be laughing.

Andrew
(who has a once rebuild already for dodgy reverse 1991 2.3T long box in the shed waiting for new bearings).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried parts a.s.a.p, they took £300 of me for the box they said they had in stock, 2 weeks, later it had not arrived, and they stated they had non in stock, have now been waiting 5 days for a refund !!

Saab flight do have one, at £375 + VAT, so thinking about that one.

South East Saab, say 5 hours labour, but they broke my suspension ARB when removing, so that has to replaced

Total cost for new box etc, fitting a new ARB will be approx £600.00,

Does this sound ok ?

If I could re-build the box i would, but I have no idea how !!

I have been told that the Main shaft has 5th gear spline, again no idea what that is, also the splines have split on the 3rd and 4th gear hub.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Thanks for the warning about Parts ASAP... I'll avoid them

From what I've been told phoning around, it sounds like yours would be expensive to rebuild, although I don't know much about transmission internals.

You could try talking to DCA Saab (01635 860086) in Reading about doing a rebuild for you. They are friendly and have a low labour rate (£23 per hour, IIRC) and are well recommened by board members.

Did you check them for stock of recons by the way? They don't have recons of my type of box at the moment but they may have one of yours (if I understand right you have the earlier type).

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have been told that the Main shaft has 5th gear spline, again no idea what that is, also the splines have split on the 3rd and 4th gear hub.  [/b]
Turkish,

It is common for the 5th gear cog to wear it's internal spline and eventually spin on the shaft, the cog is'nt too much and I changed mine on the last rebuild for a better 2nd hand one...At least that can be changed while the gearbox is still in the car in only an hour of so.

Also, the internal splines often wear / go on the 3rd / 4th hub which is what I was talking about above.

Thankfully, saab makes the cogs and hubs of a softer metal than the very expensive main shaft so it normally is reusable.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Andrew, how easy a job would you say a rebuild is of the type you are talking about?

Is it something an amateur could do with no previous experience and a good set of instructions, or would you say it needs help first time/not to be tackled by amateurs?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
JohnCC

I would say that a rebuild is at the upper end of amatuer.

I've done it once, and am about to do it again (for a different reason).

Have a search of the 9000 archives from nearly 2 years ago, I posted in 3 parts over 3 days.

Andrew

·
Registered
545 Posts
Saab will sell you a gearbox manual for about £10, very useful if you attempt the rebuild as it goes through it step by step. Before you start though, if you know what parts are needed can enquire for cost to see if worth doing. Bearings can be obtained from a bearing supplier such as BSL.

1½ years ago I replaced the bearings on mine, some tricky bits due to lack of proper Saab tools (pullers/synchro clamp/etc) as shown in the book. In the end when fitted back on the car I could not get 3rd/4th gears since I had the synchromesh hub in the wrong position but did not realise at the time. Due to holidays in a few days took the gearbox to my local dealer to sort - 5 hours to take apart and put back together, about £250 inc some bits so the total rebuild had cost about £350. Add to that a new clutch and slave cylinder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.