Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not me whining about the box this time, its the box itself - I think. I've read previous posts on same subject & the diagnosis isn't very clear . It's noticeable at low speeds/revs in 1st, 2nd & 3rd (may be present higher but masked by engine/road noise) worse on over-run but also present in neutral, increasing with road speed when free-wheeling down hill. (no, I don't do that habitually - just whilst listening for this whine
). Now another (provisional, depending on diagnosis) whine from me - are pinnion bearings routinely replaced when gearbox out for clutch or other repair - as it was until last week? any ideas on diagnosis lads? thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got a whine too. A gearbox guy reckoned it could be 'general gear wear' which I suppose is the gear teeth getting slightly rounded edges etc. If this is the case then it sounds like only a complete rebuild will return the box to silence, however unless the box is thrashed badly every day it could be that it will go on working for a long time. Do these symptoms sound familiar: Sometimes doesn't want to get 1st gear when sat at the lights in neutral; the whine is most noticable when the engine/transmission is 'floating' that is when you're not pulling but also not letting off throttle and going into overrun; a 'geary' noise, rather than a whine on overrun. While you're there what's the miles on the box, and what's the lubrication history like?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Bill & George, wasn't being ignorant just missed your posts somehow.
George, your whine sounds very similar but I have no problem selecting gears except for needing reverse lift mech for 5th, which is unrelated. Have you tried opening the windows & sunroof & sticking your head out when passing walls & buildings? I have
(well the wife did the passenger side, briefly - had to tell 'er to get 'er 'ed back in cos it made us look like a cattle truck ) & thankfully the whine is not audible to pedestrians. Mine's done 98000 but it's history is a bit chequered from 70000 and I've only had it a few months. Strangely it covered only 600 miles between last two MOT's & I'm not sure I want to ask why
. I'm hoping it'll last a year before I buy myself something significantly quicker - that's had a g/box rebuild.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've just added 5 psi above rec to my tyres & it seems to have quietened though not eliminated what I've described on here to be a gearbox whine. Can anyone make a logical connection, or am I just going deaf?
Common sense now points to tyre noise, but it can only be heard inside the cab - which also eliminates every other possibility I can think of

any bright ideas lads? please SHOUT (just in case)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It's noticeable at low speeds/revs in 1st, 2nd & 3rd (may be present higher but masked by engine/road noise) worse on over-run but also present in neutral, increasing with road speed when free-wheeling down hill.  [/b]
Sounds like the pinion bearing is on its way out and will get worse, in as was in my case, quite rapidly. If sorted immediately it will minimise the damage to other parts of the gearbox, if left it junks other parts of the box due to the shaft running out of alignment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.