Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody

I have a 900 2.0 turbo (year 1993, engine 2.0 L B202 I4) with gearbox problems. 1st and 3rd gear are very difficult to get into and I have to replace or repair the gearbox.

According to the code in the engine compartment, a GM45614 is built in my SAAB (additional information on the plaque is A65355). I read on various forum posts that a manual gearbox with gearbox code GM55X06 should be installed for a turbo.

Can an expert give me his opinion on the gearboxes? I have to replace the existing gearbox, should it be a GM55X06 or can I also use a GM45X14?

If so, how important is position X in the GM45X14 - currently I have a 6 (input gear 31 teeth, output gear 26 teeth). Could it be a different configuration?

Many thanks for your help,

Eric

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everybody

I have a 900 2.0 turbo (year 1993, engine 2.0 L B202 I4) with gearbox problems. 1st and 3rd gear are very difficult to get into and I have to replace or repair the gearbox.

According to the code in the engine compartment, a GM45614 is built in my SAAB (additional information on the plaque is A65355). I read on various forum posts that a manual gearbox with gearbox code GM55X06 should be installed for a turbo.

Can an expert give me his opinion on the gearboxes? I have to replace the existing gearbox, should it be a GM55X06 or can I also use a GM45X14?

If so, how important is position X in the GM45X14 - currently I have a 6 (input gear 31 teeth, output gear 26 teeth). Could it be a different configuration?

Many thanks for your help,

Eric
I would be concerned with the figment of a different gearbox to your engine if the 93’ year in a 900 is anything similar to the 9000? I say this as I have a 93’ 9000 Aero and when I had to swap Trannys due to failure in the original, much research in the matter told me that the connection to the engine, as well as the clutch disc, changed in 94’.

I ended up having my original rebuilt with Quaife LSD by ScanWest in Seattle (Awesome guys! And Rob is the man when it comes to any rebuild!!!) considering at the time I was building it up for stage 5, which included an engine overhaul, 3” down pipe, ETS Intercooler, bored out Turbo 19T, ECU Remap by John Z Williams in Colorado, as well as all new Suspension components including subframe bushings all around!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would be concerned with the fitment of a different gearbox to your engine if the 93’ year in a 900 is anything similar to the 9000? I say this as I have a 93’ 9000 Aero and when I had to swap Trannys due to failure in the original, much research in the matter told me that the connection to the engine, as well as the clutch disc, changed in 94’.

I ended up having my original rebuilt with Quaife LSD by ScanWest in Seattle (Awesome guys! And Rob is the man when it comes to any rebuild!!!) considering at the time I was building it up for stage 5, which included an engine overhaul, 3” down pipe, ETS Intercooler, bored out Turbo 19T, ECU Remap by John Z Williams in Colorado, as well as all new Suspension components including subframe bushings all around!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everybody

Is your only symptom that it's hard to shift into first and third? Is it safe to assume that you've already ruled out shifter/linkage problems?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you SAAB Snob for your feedback. I am living in Switzerland, so it will be too long a distance to travel to Seattle. But i will watch out for experts here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your only symptom that it's hard to shift into first and third? Is it safe to assume that you've already ruled out shifter/linkage problems?
Hi jfran2,
Thank you for your response. The problems with the gearbox have been diagnosed by our official car inspection scheme here in Switzerland.

the symptom is that the 1st gear jumps out when accelrating, and the 3rd starts to do the same. If I press them into place, I am able to drive and once speed is higher, I don't really have any issues. It mainly is when the engine is running on low rpm.

I have not ruled out shifter/linkage problems - in fact, I would love to test whether it is them. Any way I can test that?

Your support is much appreciated.

Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts