Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read previous posts and wanting to change my gearbox oil (1996 CSE 2.3T 5-sp) I still can't see the wood for the trees!

I bought some oil from my dealer and find it is synthetic (MTF0063, Pt No 12799117), but the documents I got with the car tell me "Do NOT use synthetic oil".

I rang Saab GB who tell me you can change to synthetic IF you adhere to the "procedure" (which they have yet to send me). They quoted a different Pt No for the synthetic oil, incidentally - 400108247.

Has anyone else been through this same loop? and what did you do?

Dave

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update.
The "procedure" is as follows:-
1 Draining the mineral oil
2 Fill with just 1 litre of the new synthetic oil 3and "running the car so the oil flows throughly through the system"

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update - for info.....
The "procedure" turns out to be a flushing operation, as follows:-

1 Drain the existing mineral oil
2 Fill with just 1 litre of the new synthetic oil 3 "Run the car so the oil flows through the
system"
4 Drain the litre of flushing oil
5 Final fill with 2.5 litres of the synthetic oil

I'm not sure what the viscosity of the Saab oil is (anybody know?) but I just feel safer using factory fill stuff - for now, at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i wouldnt bother,Stick with the semi 10-40 and change it every 3-5k.The dtergent in synthetic oil will probably cause leaks within a few thousand miles.esp if the car is over 100k.
Mobil 1 is supossedly what SAAB repackage and sell as brand.Semi is cheaper and just as capable of very high mileages.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, list

The synthetic fluid Saab use in their gearboxes is a special gearbox oil. You must not use synthetic or semi-synthetic engine oil in a 9000 gearbox. The synchros will not work correctly and it will crunch into every gear.

Use either the Saab synthetic gearbox oil or a good quality non-synthetic engine oil.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]Welcome to Saabscene, list        

The synthetic fluid Saab use in their gearboxes is a special gearbox oil. You must not use synthetic or semi-synthetic engine oil in a 9000 gearbox. The synchros will not work correctly and it will crunch into every gear.

Use either the Saab synthetic gearbox oil or a good quality non-synthetic engine oil. [/qb][/b]
Hmmm... I actually run with synthetic Castrol SMX-S in my gearbox and it works fine (knock on wood). I've had no problems with the sychros with that oil and so far I've driven aprox 3000 very hard miles with it. One guy I've been in contact with have had problems with the synchros with Saabs MTF0063

Btw - It's 1,8 liter of oil in the 9000 gearbox. Check with the level plug when filling!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Friberg:
[qb]Hmmm... I actually run with synthetic Castrol SMX-S in my gearbox and it works fine (knock on wood). I've had no problems with the sychros with that oil and so far I've driven aprox 3000 very hard miles with it.[/qb][/b]
Interesting...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Having had the speedo feed out of mine to repair yesterday, I can say that the synth oil Abbott uses stinks...

It was clean though unlike that whicjh cam out of the Carly last year which was black.

Andrew

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Friberg:
[qb]Hmmm... I actually run with synthetic Castrol SMX-S in my gearbox and it works fine (knock on wood). I've had no problems with the sychros with that oil and so far I've driven aprox 3000 very hard miles with it.[/qb][/b]
Interesting... [/qb][/b][/quote]Before I get any complaints from others who tries this - I'm not at all an expert in this subject! I just got the recommendation from a guy at STCS's forum to try that oil. He had done some research concerning Saabs boxes and found that SMX-S was working fine - didn't even have to flush the box...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.