Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies to all for reviving a well-worn thread but:

Are any of the following OK to use in a manual g/box, 1996 2.3CSE LPT:
- 15W40 Castrol GTX or Duckhams Q (mineral)
- 10W40 GTX Magnatec (semi-synthetic)
- 10W40 Comma (says "synthetic technology" on the can)

I know the faves are 10w30 or 10w40 mineral, but am having a little trouble getting anything in these grades that isn't semi-synthetic or doesn't have "synthetic technology" on the can. However I can easily get hold of the ones on my list above (and cheaply).

Any ideas or preferences would be v. welcome.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would say that the two semi-syn's are out. Saab only recommends their brand and 10W-30 & 40 mineral oils, if with API service SF/CC, SF/CD. They also mention 15W-40 mineral oil that's SHPD BP Vanellus FE, whatever that means. This is anecdotal, but I've heard from friends in Sweden that people who work at the Saab engine development plant say one of the best oils to use in their transaxles is a gool ol' Pennsylvania crude, Quaker State 10W-30.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I've successfully used Shell Helix Super 15w40, which is a non-synthetic, as discussed in this thread. It did make my gearbox quieter and smoother, although after a couple more track days, the 3rd gear synchro was starting to crunch again.

I also asked Abbott Racing for their recommendation. They use "Mobil Inferex", but apparently it isn't available to the public. They recommended Ford Zetec engine oil and said it will give a really smooth gearchange. I've never used it so can't comment. However, it is available at Ford dealers and will be on the shelf. There is only one grade and it is labelled something like "Engine oil for Zetec engines". Something like that...

I seem to remnember it's in a dark blue container, but I imagine a lot of things that Ford sell are in a similar container

·
Registered
545 Posts
I managed to get some last year from my local car accessory shop, now part of A1 group. 10W 30 oil, think it was valvolene and about £10 for 5 litres. Non synthetic.

No drain plug on the gearbox but since out of the car was able to tip old oil out of the dip stick hole. B202 engine, 1993.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts