Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it happened

The 9000 has lunched it's auto.

ATF is brown and burned smelling. Car won't pull off in D (just revs). Can drive the car through 1-2-3-D. But not in D.

Decided I've had enough of fixing this car. As lovely as it is, what will be next if I fork out another 2 Grand on repairs.. and how long do I get before something else breaks.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Bad luck, Mark Although I suppose we all knew it had to happen sooner or later with all those extra horses and torque going thru the 9000 autobox

Just a thought, if you like the rest of the car, and want to keep something big, then ditch the Abbott ECU. That should put the power back to something more manageable. The head won't make that much difference. The rest of the mods you've had done will remain, still making the car very driveable, if not quite as much fun.

I must admit I'm almost at a similar point with mine after the recent demise of 4th gear that gave me an £1100 repair bill. Although hopefully with the torque now shifted higher up the rev range, I'll be more inclined to use lower gears rather than be lazy... I dunno- perhaps I have to view the gearbox as a "consumable", just like tyres. That seems to be the approach Maptun take with their cars

·
Registered
623 Posts
Wow, how many Marks here!
I agree with Mark in Ireland, I would try to fit a manual box. It would be such a shame to renounce to all the upgrades (and all the money you've spent) on that car. A manual box would just enphatize the sporty soul of hte 9000!

If you have problems with the manual, then consider to convert it to manual before selling it. I could be cheaper in the end than selling the car with a dead autobox.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got the prices for fixing my auto :

To drop the box out.. and fully refurbish at ATS(automatic transmission services) in Rijswijk NL - 1886 Euro fully inclusive of VAT, work and parts.

To purchase a refurbished box from Two Stroke and have it crate shipped to NL is 1039 pounds including VAT. Plus prolly 500 euro to have it fitted. = 2089 EURO.

To purchase a second hand box from Two Stroke and have it crate shipped to NL is 387 pounds including VAT. Plus prolly 500 euro to have it fitted - the box is warrantied for 3 months. = 1092 EURO.

What should I do?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Originally posted by MarkA:
[qb]What should I do? [/qb][/b]
Two stroke offers the same as ATS, but at a higher price. That rules out a refurbished Two Stroke autobox.

Now it depends on the warranty you get at ATS wether to go Two Stroke or ATS. If warranties are similar, opting for ATS might be worth the extra cash. The ATS box will be almost in new condition, the secondhand box might imply a risk.

What's the price of converting to a manual box?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I wouldn't touch a S/H box myself. I've also heard varying reports on the quality of work from Twostroke. And there's the distance problem... I'd go with ATS- there's always the option maybe that once they get it apart you could go and look at it and discuss what has failed and why...

Mark

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Mark, it is almost certainly the clutch pack, that's about all that can go wrong inside the box, apart from the valves. If you are mechanically minded you could always have a go yourself. It's not that hard and the parts are very cheap. I rebuilt a merc box the other week and the clutch plates were about a fiver each, and theres about 20 plates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.