Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of ways to fix my wheel spin problem when launching out of first without spending $1500 on a LSD. Has anyone here ever changed their first gear ratio to do this? If not how difficult would it be to do this. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
You can't change the 1st gear ration as the teeth for 1st are ground into the input shaft.

The only way saab change the ratio's is by changing the final drive from a choice of 4.45:1, 4.05:1 and 3.61:1 (and a rare abbott racing version at 3.8:1).

To my knowledgwe there are no alternate replacement ratios for 2nd through 5th either.

Sorry.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Clint, which model are we discussing?
Can you describe your wheelspin problem and what you have already tried to alleviate it? There are probably more effective ways to address the problem.

I'd agree with Andrew that it wouldn't be feasible to change the ratio of a single gear and that the only way would be to change the final drive ratio (or input ratio on a 99/C900), which will change all the gear ratios in the same proportion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own a 96 900. Alot of torque is nice, but while launching i have to rev at 3000 rpms or below or my tires will break loose. i figure once i get wider tires and suspension changes it will get a little better. i was just wondering if anyone had changed gear ratios to solve this problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts