Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tried tin-foil but it only stopped for a few months, just when I was thinking I'd won, the bloody thing popped off again.
Now let's see what ARALDITE can do!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Old post I know, but this happened to me with my 2008 9-3. For me a 9.5mm C Washer and some very gentle persuasion using a socket as a guide and the jobs done! The washers have bent against the spines on the shaft, but I'm happy I can remove with some tin snips if required. To finally get the actual knob all the way on, I again required a bit of light encouragement ensuring I didn't impede the movement of the reverse selector. Can post photos if anyone wants.

Thanks for your advice adrian_a!

:D

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would be interested in seeing pics Woody89 if you wouldn't mind posting some. I fixed mine before using silicone. Had to weight it down with something overnight while it set but it worked well. Lasted about a year though then came off again. I've done the same again and it's worked, but no doubt it'll come off again in time. If sounds like your solution is more permanent, but you can still remove it if needed and that's what I'm after.

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Don't know , I've been away for a week and everybody's knob is falling off :crazy:
Mine did go through a stage of falling off , then I wrapped some insulation tape round the shaft and whacked it home , seemed to last , till this year and the wether got warmer , then it happened again , in the end I got some superglue , and a couple of drops and it's now stuck firm .
On a reverse subject on this , I've got another 9-3 where the knob is stuck on !
I want to remove it to install the spring , cos whoever had it apart before forgot to install that .
It's either try to remove it , or distroy it and install new !

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 93 (2006) has had a "popping" gear knob for ages and I tried most of the suggestions on the forum. I think the spline on mine was so worn that nothing would hold it. BUT I now have the solution buy an 11mm starlock washer from ebay. Actually the gear shaft is 11.8 mm diameter but with a bit of judicious bending an 11mm washer will go on. You may have to buy 50 but for a couple of quid who cares. Just check that the outside diameter of the starlock you buy is not too big to fit into the plastic finger grip that slides up the shaft when you pull on it to reach reverse, anything smaller than 21-22mm should be fine. Lift the knob off replace the pesky spring and foamy thing and press the starlock down with a ring spanner or something that gives good purchase all round the washer. It should go on square but don't push down too far. Maybe I should say that you put the washer on so that the inner teeth are pointing up, these grip the shaft so that the washer will only move down the shaft and not back up. Then pop on the gear knob. So far it has been brilliant. If it needs to be dismantles a good pair of side cutters should be able to cut the washer off. The ebay ref below may be out of date by the time you need it but just in case its useful i've put it below.
regards to all
Adrian
PS I don't know if other models have the same diameter gear shift shaft, so measure yours rather that taking my word for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIX300C-1...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336fcccbb4
hi adrian
a long time since you posted this but I’m going to give it a try
can you explain why you removed the spring and foam - excuse my ignorance - is it that they aren’t required, and I assume reverse can still be selected

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had the same problem, the spring is way too strong. I ended up buying some springs of amazon. Think the one that worked best was
Spring - 1.2mm Wire Dia, 15mm OD, 20mm Free Length Spring Steel Extension

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 93 (2006) has had a "popping" gear knob for ages and I tried most of the suggestions on the forum. I think the spline on mine was so worn that nothing would hold it. BUT I now have the solution buy an 11mm starlock washer from ebay. Actually the gear shaft is 11.8 mm diameter but with a bit of judicious bending an 11mm washer will go on. You may have to buy 50 but for a couple of quid who cares. Just check that the outside diameter of the starlock you buy is not too big to fit into the plastic finger grip that slides up the shaft when you pull on it to reach reverse, anything smaller than 21-22mm should be fine. Lift the knob off replace the pesky spring and foamy thing and press the starlock down with a ring spanner or something that gives good purchase all round the washer. It should go on square but don't push down too far. Maybe I should say that you put the washer on so that the inner teeth are pointing up, these grip the shaft so that the washer will only move down the shaft and not back up. Then pop on the gear knob. So far it has been brilliant. If it needs to be dismantles a good pair of side cutters should be able to cut the washer off. The ebay ref below may be out of date by the time you need it but just in case its useful i've put it below.
regards to all
Adrian
PS I don't know if other models have the same diameter gear shift shaft, so measure yours rather that taking my word for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIX300C-1...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336fcccbb4
I bought the washers
Put one on
Used a socked snd hammer to drive down the shaft
Hammered knob on digging into upturned washer
Solidly on now

21 - 28 of 28 Posts