Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I drive a 2004 9-3 2.2 TiD and gear knob keeps spontaneously jumping off. How is it supposed to attach? Does it need to be glued or am I missing a part that holds it in place?

John

·
Registered
345 Posts
I wrapped the top of the lever in a bit of kitchen foil, then pushed the knob back on, thereby reproducing the "interference fit".

·
Registered
375 Posts
I wrapped the top of the lever in a bit of kitchen foil, then pushed the knob back on, thereby reproducing the "interference fit".[/b]
I did the same - then introduced the squat, compound might of a lump hammer to it. That was nearly a year ago.

'Giggedy'

·
Registered
63 Posts
Can I ask a related question?

I've just got a brand new replacement gear lever knob from Ebay - I thought it was the wrong part as it was such a loose fit on the gear lever itself.... Just bought another one from the main dealer, and it was exactly the same!

Went back to the main dealer, and he was giving me some guff about this being the case, and that they were a super-loose fit on the lever (wheras the one I'm pulling off is a pretty tight fit by comparison) - he suggested Loctite and holding it down for seven hours to go off.

I've glued a great many things in my time, and there's no way a bit of super-glue is going to take the force of regular gear-stick usage (non-racing force usage!) as the fit is just to loose to begin with!!! Anyone else tried fitting a new one?

The other thing the main dealer suggested was to "stab" at the inside of the gear knob to try to create some "additional contact" between the gear knob and the gear lever - I suggested that they might make the internal band of the gear knob a fraction smaller to sort the issue out completely!

Does the kitchen foil trick work with brand new gear lever knobs as well as re-fitting old ones???

·
Registered
375 Posts
It worked for me, once I'd smashed it with the lump hammer, hasn't budged in over a year now, and mine was coming off all the time at that point. Poxy build quality! How many miles has your 2.2 done? I'm planning on running mine into the ground, done 114k so far

·
Registered
91 Posts
Funnily enough I read this thread when it first started and thought i was lucky mine was fine ..... until a few of weeks ago then it started coming off daily haha.
Came off in traffic two weeks ago so wrapped a bit of tissue paper around the stem and it's been rock solid since ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
The easiest way to stop it coming off it to actually want to take it off !!
Mine would not budge at all and in the end i changed the complete gearknob/gaiter and main shaft linkage part all in one go just to replace the worn knob top.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It worked for me, once I'd smashed it with the lump hammer, hasn't budged in over a year now, and mine was coming off all the time at that point. Poxy build quality! How many miles has your 2.2 done? I'm planning on running mine into the ground, done 114k so far[/b]
Mine's on 145k and stll going..........(not to tempt fate).
I used araldite on my gear knob when it came off about 6 months ago. Not budged since.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Araldite was a bit too permanent for me when it fell off a few years ago. Foil worked for a while. However the reverse collar spring is too strong. Some have removed it completely and used the foil approach. I used tin snips and cut off about 1/3 and refitted with some cadburys choc foil on the splines. Been ok for over a year now.
HTH
Rick

·
Registered
63 Posts
Araldite was a bit too permanent for me when it fell off a few years ago. Foil worked for a while. However the reverse collar spring is too strong. Some have removed it completely and used the foil approach. I used tin snips and cut off about 1/3 and refitted with some cadburys choc foil on the splines. Been ok for over a year now.
HTH
Rick[/b]
Has anyone tried fitting a brand new one from the dealer using this approach? The one I've just received is SO LOOSE that it just spins around - and it doesn't seem that any amount of glue would be enough to hold it in place for very long.... You'd expect there to be at least "some" friction grip between the new knob and the gear lever itself?

The old is actually quite tight - apart from falling off every so often....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all.

I drive a 2004 9-3 2.2 TiD and gear knob keeps spontaneously jumping off. How is it supposed to attach? Does it need to be glued or am I missing a part that holds it in place?

John
My 93 (2006) has had a "popping" gear knob for ages and I tried most of the suggestions on the forum. I think the spline on mine was so worn that nothing would hold it. BUT I now have the solution buy an 11mm starlock washer from ebay. Actually the gear shaft is 11.8 mm diameter but with a bit of judicious bending an 11mm washer will go on. You may have to buy 50 but for a couple of quid who cares. Just check that the outside diameter of the starlock you buy is not too big to fit into the plastic finger grip that slides up the shaft when you pull on it to reach reverse, anything smaller than 21-22mm should be fine. Lift the knob off replace the pesky spring and foamy thing and press the starlock down with a ring spanner or something that gives good purchase all round the washer. It should go on square but don't push down too far. Maybe I should say that you put the washer on so that the inner teeth are pointing up, these grip the shaft so that the washer will only move down the shaft and not back up. Then pop on the gear knob. So far it has been brilliant. If it needs to be dismantles a good pair of side cutters should be able to cut the washer off. The ebay ref below may be out of date by the time you need it but just in case its useful i've put it below.
regards to all
Adrian
PS I don't know if other models have the same diameter gear shift shaft, so measure yours rather that taking my word for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIX300C-1...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336fcccbb4

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 04 9-3 2.2 and the gear knob came off that a couple of years ago. I binned the spring and used Evo-stick Impact Adhesive, it's been fine since then up to last week when I did a vigorous gear change into reverse. Gonna try the foil approach now.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Didnt know this was a common thing on the 9-3, my parents new shape vector sport does it all the time, almost seems like the spring is forcing it off.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Will that have any impact on lifting the collar up to select reverse gear?
Not at all. There is still enough spring pressure to hold down the reverse collar but not enough to send the knob into orbit!!. As previously stated it will work without the spring as the gaiter will pull the collar down and some people have gone down this route. Mine is still in place after this fix a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts