Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help needed in assessing the degree of difficulty in fixing my recent gear change problem. As you know, Haynes gives a lot of advice - Gearboxes are complicated so leave it to SAAB !
Starting a couple of weeks ago my '95 9000 LPT (220k miles) started slipping out of reverse if I wasn't very deliberate in egaging gear. Last Sunday it got MUCH worse. I can only reverse if I hold the lever HARD into the reverse position and reverse very slowly, slipping the clutch. I can feel the gears jumping out and 'slipping' onto the next tooth. Not a procedure I like.
It seems to me that the selector has come loose on the rod so that the gear is not being engaged properly. Any photos or links to previous threads that will help to assess how difficult the job will be. I have a 'spare' box from my previous car, a '92 9000 injection but that would render the wreck non moveable and mean two 'box out jobs and perhaps a bit of fiddling to get the older box to fit. I also have a third, completely knackered box in bits so there should be no shortage of parts if I need them. ( also from the '92 )
I can probably get the model numbers of the boxes if need be but it's pretty dark these days by the time I get home PM.

[email protected]

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scaero,
Thanks for the link to these great pics. If I read them correctly, then the reverse selector is on the furthest right selector rod, Part 2 1st picture. I'm hoping that it has just come loose 'though your pics don't show how they are retained. Is it a roll pin or a bolt ?
Am I also right in assuming that the reverse selector rod protrudes into the 'extension cover' for 5th gear and the pin on the 5th gear selector ( picture 9 ) moves across the end of the reverse rod when 5th is selected ?
The procedure would be.
1.End cover off.
2.5th gear and selector off.
3.Main cover off. Does the whole jigsaw fly apart at this stage ?
4.Identify reverse gear and selector mechanism. ( Pos. Pic no 3 ) Is that the straight cut gear and 'crab claw' shaped fork ?
5. Pray that I can get it re-attached without disturbing the rest.
6.Rebuild. ( Like that did you ? A bit like Haynes and the "reassembly is just a reverse of the previous" - Oh Yeah !)

[email protected]

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Scaero,
Thanks for the link to these great pics. If I read them correctly, then the reverse selector is on the furthest right selector rod, Part 2 1st picture. I'm hoping that it has just come loose 'though your pics don't show how they are retained. Is it a roll pin or a bolt ?

Paul, they are all loose, that is their design. they are not held in, so don't pull them. When any one moves it locks the other 3 by a pin and ball mechanism in the main selector block.

Am I also right in assuming that the reverse selector rod protrudes into the 'extension cover' for 5th gear and the pin on the 5th gear selector ( picture 9 ) moves across the end of the reverse rod when 5th is selected ?

All the rods protrude through, for support of their ends, reverse and 5th more so, reverse for the reversing light switch, 5th for it's gear. The rods just go up and down, not around.

The procedure would be.
1.End cover off.
yes
2.5th gear and selector off.
Place car in 3rd gear and do not take out unless you really have to, and only for duration needed! To get 5th off you will need to remove the pin and push 5th into gear (while 3rd still selected) to lock the gearbox up to undo the large nut.
3.Main cover off. Does the whole jigsaw fly apart at this stage ?
Not if 3rd is selected and it locks up the selector rods, otherwise grow more hands... You will need a large puller to separate the gearbox halves.
4.Identify reverse gear and selector mechanism. ( Pos. Pic no 3 ) Is that the straight cut gear and 'crab claw' shaped fork ?

Yes, the base for the claw mechanism may have come loose, worn, or you may have the problem I had. What ever, you need to sort it before you damage the inout shaft gear which is cut into the shaft at ££££.

5. Pray that I can get it re-attached without disturbing the rest.
yes, also, the idler 3rd gear the crab claw goes on can just be changed without removing the 2 gear stacks (only just though)
6.Rebuild. ( Like that did you ? A bit like Haynes and the "reassembly is just a reverse of the previous" - Oh Yeah !)
Yep, thats it... except when doing up the big nut, preload to 0.2mm movement.

Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts