Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with experience of them? Thinking about one for my aero. Would'nt really bother as I'm happy with the 295bhp but circumstance may dictate a change of head anyway. No real damage, just that the [email protected] AC pump just does'nt want to stay in and the bolt holes been re-thread once already

Also are Abbotts the only place that do them?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Perhaps you just want a head anyway, but wouldn't a helicoil or similar repair be a lot cheaper?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a gas flowed head on my car (more info on my homepage), and it really opens up the top: I think acceleration above 220 kph improved very much. Plus I think it reduces fuel consumtion.
Renato Boldrini from Hirsch seamed to like it when he custom tuned my ECU: He told me that the car responded very well to an advanced ignition, which might be a result of the gas flowed head.
No hard data as evidence, though, but with just the hardware mods and the stock ECU, the car dynoed already more than 250 hp (and with custom tuned ecu, more than 280 hp at less than 1 bar of boost).

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Abbott gas flowed the head of my old 9000 griffin as part of the tuning/revitalising of that car.

Good mod, but you should also go for the 'big valve' option.

MarkE has this option on his 9000.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Do Abbott actually gas flow the heads on site, has anyone actually seen it being done? The reason I ask is when I was phoning around for mods to my engine I got a rally weekly newspaper and in the classifieds were a few dedicated head flowing companies.....one i asked if they had any experience on Saab heads to which he replied, yeh, done quite a few for that Saab Abbott racing company down south. Only thing was, they wanted all of £240 for a fast road/race gas flow.....
you do the maths on difference in prices.
I eventually used CTM engineering who charged me £250 approx for fast road/race. Excellent job, haven't tested it yet but Ylee has one on his car and I think he is happy with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My line of thought on gas flowing heads is get the most 'work' done on the head as possible, stage 1,2,3 means really nothing.Get the best flow job you can, this means to have it flowed to it's ultimate. Depending on budget, have larger valves fitted.
As a rule of thumb, the really good headshops don't advertise, they don't really have to,have a look at the link below, i am currently have a cylinder head opened up by Dave at Puma Racing for my Pug S1 106 rallye.

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/mainmenu.htm

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
CTM did an excellent job
the porting was not that expensive.. however I went for larger valves and uprated valve springs so in total it was fairly expensive
but in relative terms I paid just a little more than an Abbott big valve head for all of my engine work...
crank was lightened and balanced, the con rods were lightened and shot peened, the pistons/rods were match weighted new big ends nd main bearings and new piston rings, bores were honed.
So all in all pretty good value
The guy to speak to is charlie..really knows his stuff

But ...
there is a down side to porting ..the engine becomes more sensitive to valve timing as there is less port resistance you can get "tidal effects" if your valve timing is not spot on
this is where exhaust is drawn back in at certain revs..causing less than optimal volumetric efficiency...
this is my current problem and I am currently waiting for adjustable cam sprockets to fine tune mine to find the missing 100 hp....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Mark,

Abbott definitely don't do their own. When they did my head there was a delay for which they blamed 'the third party' who was doing the work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most Tuning companies sub out head work...as its an art, not just a skill. most of the cars Ive owned have had Gas flow'd, big valve heads, HD springs, indexed cams etc and its works great...if you combine all the other mods...i guess its the last mod in a line of air flow volume and speed changes that we all do...filter...delivery pipe, exhaust...all we are really doing is moving the "air flow Bottleneck" around the system unitl it is as small as possible. the head being one of the last items in list.I have had better success on a rough cut head for turbo's over a smooth finish NA engine. Ive also seen engines make 30bhp less !...after a "professional" port/flow and tey had 150bhp before

choose wisely...see a finished head and get some pro advice if you can

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by philip hs:
[qb]..and it really opens up the top: I think acceleration above 220 kph improved very much. Plus I think it reduces fuel consumtion.[/qb][/b]
Hi Philip,
Does Johann also gas flow 9-5 Aero heads? How much does a process like this cost typically?
Look forward to your favorable response.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi 9-5 ff,

yes, Johann Heuschmid does 9-5 Aero heads. In fact, the 9-5 Aero has the same head as my Viggen. Regular price for the head modification is 750 EURO including 16% German VAT, but Heuschmid always makes special prices if you talk nicely to him. It includes intake and exhaust ports polished, valves polished, seats ground, valves ground in. One drawback: As Heuschmid does all the heads himself and is a busy man, it can take him some time to finish (or even begin) work on the head.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Philip,
Thanks for the great response!
I wonder if Johann does an exchange job for the heads as I live in another distant country and I can't afford any downtime for the head job. Appreciate if you could provide me his personal email contact.
Thanks
9-5 ff

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I was very impressed with the difference having my head flowed/ported with big exhaust valves made. Combined with a high performance intercooler, larger delivery pipe and open air filter it really opens up the top end and the engine pulls strongly all the way to the red line- there's no hint of it starting to run out of puff above 5000rpm like normal models. It makes it a lot more flexible by widening the power band.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by ZARS:
[qb]Anyone with experience of them? Thinking about one for my aero. Would'nt really bother as I'm happy with the 295bhp      but circumstance may dictate a change of head anyway. No real damage, just that the [email protected] AC pump just does'nt want to stay in  and the bolt holes been re-thread once already  

Also are Abbotts the only place that do them? [/qb][/b]
With you power levels I do not advice you to modify your cylinder head. B234 head can be used without modifications up to 360 - 380 bhp level, and it's not the worst bottleneck at all.

One should remember that the bang for the buck ratio for B234 head modification at this power level is poor. IMHO this mofication is reasonable when you are using big turbos with tub. exhaust housing at 400bhp+ power levels.

Just my 0.02

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'd say the weight of opinion from those that have actually had this mod is that it's a significant and worthwhile difference.

If you haven't changed the IC though, that would give you better value for money.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I've had so much advice through these forums which has been really helpful. Thanks guys
What I propose to do is to see if the A/C pump can be re-bolted again into the existing head as this will by far be the cheapest solution. Polishing the head was only an option if I'm forced to replace the head.

Maybe if I decide to go stage 4 I'll do it. Watch this space.......

Zahid

1 - 18 of 18 Posts