Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
I have a problem with my 1990 9000CD T16.
When I came to start the car up today she had a bit of hesitation, the engine was turning over fine. When it started and I set off up the road it felt like I had run out of fuel (the gauge showed empty). So managed to limp to the gas station and fill up. Everything was fine for half a mile then the same thing started happening again. I stopped at the side of the road killed the engine and had a look under the bonnet. Nothing aparently wrong there. Then I tried to start up again, but it wouldnt start.
I checked the fuel lines for pressure, nothing apart from the initial release.
Fuses and relay are functioning fine.
I then took a look at the fuel pump. The grey/red wire seems to be getting 12v with the key switched off. But the power dissapears when the engine is cranked. There is no fuel pressure whatever during all this.

I'm a bit flumoxed as to what is goin on but I'm sure one of you guys must have come accross this before.

I had to wait two and a half hours in the midday sun for a tow truck and a got completely fried

Cheers, Billy. (car-less and burnt)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'd start by checking the fuel pump relay. Remove fuse 14 and connect a wire between it and 22. If the pump and its wiring are OK, the pump should run.
If it does run, it's probably a faulty relay. If it doesn't, it could be the pump starting to go awol.
If it is the relay, open it up and check that the soldered joints don't need resoldering - cheaper than a new relay.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If not a fuel problem could be an ignition problem. Do not know about your model year, but if it has a distributor it could be a faulty cap or rotor arm or damp inside the cap. I had a 1988 900i that played up with poor running and finally not running when the rotor arm resistor started to burn out and always carried a spare.
Also check if it will run again if the petrol filler cap is removed again - if the tank vent gets blocked a vacuum is formed in the tank as petrol pumps out and eventually the pump can not suck against the vacuum.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Billy:
[qb]Hey all.
I have a problem with my 1990 9000CD T16.
When I came to start the car up today she had a bit of hesitation, the engine was turning over fine. When it started and I set off up the road it felt like I had run out of fuel (the gauge showed empty). So managed to limp to the gas station and fill up. Everything was fine for half a mile then the same thing started happening again. I stopped at the side of the road killed the engine and had a look under the bonnet. Nothing aparently wrong there. Then I tried to start up again, but it wouldnt start.
I checked the fuel lines for pressure, nothing apart from the initial release.
Fuses and relay are functioning fine.
I then took a look at the fuel pump. The grey/red wire seems to be getting 12v with the key switched off. But the power dissapears when the engine is cranked. There is no fuel pressure whatever during all this.

I'm a bit flumoxed as to what is goin on but I'm sure one of you guys must have come accross this before.

I had to wait two and a half hours in the midday sun for a tow truck and a got completely fried      

Cheers, Billy. (car-less and burnt) [/qb][/b]
It could be the DI cassete. Sounds similar to what happened to me.

I do believe they're very easy to remove, Just a couple screw here and there at the top. If its burned you'll be able to smell and see it.

BTW, this is of course assuming your car is DI.... heheh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts